Author Topic: Should I start over?  (Read 2980 times)

Bpdox

• Adventurer
Should I start over?
« on: 04:05:38 - 02/26/10 »
Hi everyone, looking to get some advice here. :) So far there's quite a load of info to digest but it's certainly more interesting than most other games I've tried out there. Now I'm a level 28 novice, and wondering if I should restart a new character (I don't mind the work), or try to go for another route.

I started off intending to go the novice->monk->champion route, thinking that armour destruction sounded pretty fun, and given that I'm more offensive, the heals seemed to round it out nicely. Besides, a fist-weapons mage is badass imo. :D However, my PVP is hopeless, and I mean really hopeless, like losing to fellas as low as level 21-22. I haven't watched the matches, because there's too many: I'd log on every few hours to feed my pet and find like 10+ new losses each time. I tried reading up a bit in the forums, but apparently the novice->monk/sage route is one of the less viable routes, which sounds like I'm setting myself up for another 10+ levels of disappointment at least. The constant, gradually improving charms are also quite a drain on my limited gold stores. :(

Are monks really that bad, and are champions worth the effort? My stats are as follows:
HP: 374
POW: 210
Dex: 75
CON: 52
INT: 244

Would really appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz, trollin yer topixz
Re: Should I start over?
« Reply #1 on: 04:15:30 - 02/26/10 »
Are monks really that bad?
Hell yes!

and are champions worth the effort?
Off course!

lets pretend that road to T3 class is journey of manhood, then adventurer is a baby, novice is a... child, monk... child and champion is a MAN!
its quite a large jump there, you gotta grind your teeth and skills (Hp and spirit especially), dont depend much on class charms(except novice maybe) and be a MAN! in the end you will be the one doing 6-8 actions in a row and not feeling a bit dizzy! OR punching your opponents vital points and the... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! and the again BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

other then that, start new character, try new strategies, but dont abandon your adventurers, they have feelings too you know. Also its quite normal for people to have alts who are actually stronger then their main pvp wise

p.s. have fun, dont let those loses get into your head, its all only rating, MAN UP AND MARCH STRAIGHT INTO MANHOOD!
YGBSM
[20:31]   <Schutz|Work>   Lez trolls much better than wolfz! :p
We make server cry with Tears of Blood

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #2 on: 04:54:06 - 02/26/10 »
The constant, gradually improving charms are also quite a drain on my limited gold stores. :(

Are monks really that bad, and are champions worth the effort? My stats are as follows:
HP: 374
POW: 210
Dex: 75
CON: 52
INT: 244

Would really appreciate any input on this. Thanks!
Well, like Wolfsoul said, it's all about fun above all!

Else than that, some input...

About the gold issue, 2 things:
1st: don't rely too much on class charms, don't rely on vendor's charms at all. Except than the armour/ward/willpower charms, vendor's charms are but useless (unless you need to train some skills in the arena).
2nd: Seeing your stats I can tell you've been levelling mostly through jobs, like doing your daily job all the time like a good boy. This means your levelling pace is quick but it makes it hard for you to catch up with charms, gold, etc... using your job to move besides your daily move allows you to do more dungeons/events a day, meanwhile you don't lvl up too fast and can take the time to farm dungeons around your level for their charms and crafting materials... indeed, good PvP gear are usually mostly made of crafted charms along with those you can find in dungeons. A lot (including myself :P) tend to do the mistake to try and never skip a day of working, trying to get stat points as quickly as possible, thinking levelling up will make us powerful. Although at some point we realize we're not doing too well. But no worries, at your lvl you can still make up for it.
Besides, I recommend you try starting an alt, more slow-paced in his levelling, who would benefit from the experience you've got with your main char and try to get more powerful.

Oh, and about Champion, it definitely is a cool class, don't give up on it !
Good luck anyway ! :)
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Matto

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 05:27:10 - 02/26/10 »
I went Novice -> Sage -> Pyro with an alt, so did a fellow guildmate, both of us have 3500-4k pvp rating (most of which was gained before lvl 40) and a much higher % of wins than losses, if you're relying on class charms for pvp, you're doing it ALL wrong, especially at lvl 28, there's no excuse for anyone more than 3 lvls lower than you beating you in pvp at your lvl.

Oh, and I was considering running my novice as a monk/champ also, so I was a heavy fist user early on and stayed that way through sage as it was more effective than the magic crap I had, only switched it up to magic when I became a pyro.  You could also run a second spirit deck if your dex is high enough.

Bpdox

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: 07:40:56 - 02/27/10 »
OR punching your opponents vital points and the... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! and the again BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

BOOM? Sounds awesome already :D

From the look of things, my novice-child is only crawling along. Think I can still rescue him, though I prob gotta stop doing jobs and focus on collecting items for charms. I've been doing jobs mainly for the skills though, just got Fire 3 yesterday.

Oh yes, are there any ways we can lower our stats? I know it can be done for pets, but I just wanna check so I know how much of a mess I've made with my stats. :(

Matto

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #5 on: 10:58:53 - 02/27/10 »
how fast are you lvling?

basic rule of thumb, if you want a decent character, take the time to develop it, if you want cannon fodder, get att. pts as fast as possible

might explain why you're being pwned constantly

Blacksol

• Faithful
« Reply #6 on: 11:08:30 - 02/27/10 »
also doing jobs to level battle/gather skills is imho a waste.  You may as well do PvP or Arena and farm other battle skills at the same time, for gather skills, just go and gather which will help you to level explorer (and then treasure hunter) etc.

Use the job to travel somewhere to do another dungeon or craft some charms

Matto

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #7 on: 11:44:59 - 02/27/10 »
Bpdox the Golem Crusher
Class : Novice
PvP Rating : 1601
374 HIT POINTS
35 SPIRIT
Player versus Player
This week : (6.1% win) 5 Wins 77 Losses
Life Time : (10.5% win) 70 Wins 595 Losses

Collected Charms : 382

ok, so i highlighted the areas in which you are lacking, the following is taken directly from the wiki:

lvl 28 - base hp   328 - base spirit   32

You have barely more than the base stats at lvl 28, your pvp win % would encourage anyone to attack you, and your charm collection is extremely small.  You need to work on all the hp/spirit skills you're missing for your lvl and start farming all viable charms from dungeons in your lvl range, build up your decks a little bit, then start pvping more to craft pvp charms and get your win rate up.  Once you do that, start doing coliseum matches to get skill pts there, also if possible save multiple decks for offline protection and to get some experience with different strategies.  You could probably put together a good melee OR magic deck, depending on skills and charms, and perhaps a defense/spirit deck.

Bpdox

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: 13:09:01 - 02/27/10 »
Thanks Matto! :) Yup I've been doing jobs pretty consistently, hence the high level-low stats/charm ratio. I thought that class charms were the pwnage ones and didn't quite figure out charm-crafting until recently. :( Spent some time just now reading through the forums and realised exactly how much I'm missing out.  :-X

I've been spending my APs on dungeons and selling off whatever I got, so I'm kinda behind on crafting ingredients as well (besides a few, like white soul shard...). Sounds like turning it around is gonna take a while...