Author Topic: So... the maths on Burst. They confuse me.  (Read 3043 times)

Alastair

• Bunny Cultist
So... the maths on Burst. They confuse me.
« on: 03:45:46 - 04/30/09 »
I have a level 27 character who farms burst on the Red Lion. Can usually get burst if I deal 120 HP damage.

I just started trying to farm this with another character. He just hit level 28.  I use a combination of various CPBs (agility, Howling, Night Cloak) and fury pots plus Hardened Steel Claymores (hey, they're my highest instant damage melee charm... Shut up.  STOP MAKING FUN OF ME.  *sob. sob*).

Alastair uses [Hardened Steel Claymore]
Red Lion takes 245 melee damage (28 absorbed, 6 pierced)

Red Lion is defeated.

Alastair's skill [Strengthening] increases by 5 (125/180)
Alastair's skill [Sacrifice] increases by 5 (95/180)
Alastair receives 173 gold

My alt has 28 HP total less than Alastair has, but, seriously.  I just 98% damage to a guy and didn't get burst.  Wat.
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm a bastard sometimes, don't think I don't see that- Sage Francis

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
Re: So... the maths on Burst. They confuse me.
« Reply #1 on: 05:41:35 - 04/30/09 »
There's a hidden requirement for burst in terms of the HP ratio between the attacker and the target.
I'm not sure of it really, but I think you can't have more than 1/2 to 2/3 of a difference in HP.

2/3 to 3/4 is a safer ratio though.
Sneaking Around...

Alastair

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 06:55:42 - 04/30/09 »
Ah.  *Sigh*  The Sand Golem is so much riskier to burst on (since it likes to burst you in the eye, too).

Well, to point down towards where the numbers lie: Alastair has 434 HP to the Red Lions 250. Meanwhile my alt has 410 to the Red Lions 250.  Whatever that'd equal proportionally.  I'm tired.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut.

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 07:06:42 - 04/30/09 »
The Orc warrior is pretty straightforward; you may want to try your luck with it instead.
You'll need to add a bit of armor to your charm set, but it'd probably be the same setup... :)
Sneaking Around...

Alastair

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 07:28:32 - 04/30/09 »
The Orc warrior is pretty straightforward; you may want to try your luck with it instead.
You'll need to add a bit of armor to your charm set, but it'd probably be the same setup... :)

If I start losing bad to the Sand Golem I'll move up, but thus far I'm 5/5.  Sadly I don't always get Sacrifice, although I tend to get Strengthening.  And haven't not got Burst thus far.

Irony: if I hadn't gotten the Cup, I'd have low enough HPz to get Burst off of the Red Lion.  Of course, as it stands, I'm getting more gold than I would have, so . . .

Tonttu

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: 14:01:32 - 05/03/09 »
Orc Warrior takes 100 magic damage (1 warded)

didnt get burst :) game cheats!

Xyzzy

• Faithful
« Reply #6 on: 18:38:04 - 05/03/09 »
The Burst trigger is around 35%, not 1/3.  Hit him for 105 and you'll get Burst, provided your max HP is within range of his.