Author Topic: specifics on penetration  (Read 3028 times)

Chucktherighteous

• Wanderer
specifics on penetration
« on: 15:25:16 - 03/22/09 »
What happens with penetration damage if the armor is is less than the total damage.

For example lets say I have an attack that does 20 damage with 20% penetration and my opponent has 10 armor.  Will I do 10 damage (p not counted), 12 damage (% p of what hits the armor + what gets by), or 14 (total p + what gets by)?

Fenrir

• Bunny Cultist
  • This place looks different
Re: specifics on penetration
« Reply #1 on: 15:32:40 - 03/22/09 »
Penetration goes by what you said first. It basically means that that percent of damage on the charm is guaranteed to go through, don't forget that the penetrating part of the damage is counted last and that there must be armor to penetrate for something to happen. So if I have a holy charm that does 20 damage and 50% penetration and my opponent has 10 ward up my attack will only do 10 damage since the penetrating part never had anything to penetrate. However if my opponent has 15 ward up I will do 10 damage still because the second part of the attack was penetrating damage and went through his ward.
[18:26] <manoresAFK> fenrir completes achievement: [Nay can question my incosistent SnT hits!]

Nastharl

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 18:15:42 - 03/22/09 »
Put another way,

you are garunteed to do Damage * %P damage regardless of opponents armor.

You will destroy the same amt of armor as the total damage your charm was supposed to hit, regardless of %P

Chucktherighteous

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: 03:30:52 - 04/01/09 »
- The way piercing damage was calculated has been changed to better take into account the penetration against low amounts of defense

So with this new way, I'm gonna re ask my question.  From the way the patch update was worded, I'm guessing 12 damage from my above example?  Or am I misunderstanding the change?

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 12:35:46 - 04/01/09 »
12 damage (8 blocked, 2 pierced)

Binnister

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: 19:39:35 - 04/01/09 »
I know that this change to Penetration is more of a 'put the way it is supposed to work'-type change, but doesn't it make it even less appealing to use armor/wards?

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #6 on: 19:43:31 - 04/01/09 »
Armor/Ward use in PVP is already as low as it gets; changing the mechanic/computation for piercing is just to make the concept more "correct".

Don't forget, there's still the PVE/Raid aspect of the game.
Sneaking Around...

Cymril

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: 23:13:46 - 04/09/09 »
I think the primary reason that piercing was changed is because very small amounts of armour/ward was rendering a lot of the high piercing charms (twin blades, lightning, ice, etc) completely useless against higher damage, lower penetration weapons, because the higher penetration weapons wouldn't pierce at all, and thus deal less damage consistently than the high damage/low pierce charms, a situation when the penetrating charms should have been a superior choice.

Actually, there was a thread a little while back that showed that even against a consistently armoured/warded opponent, high damage/low Pen weapons were STILL the better choice.  It was only against an opponent that was playing armour/ward every turn that high pen attacks dealt more damage, and even then, the extra damage wasn't a whole lot.  In regards to PvP, how many full defense decks do you see?  So there really wasn't a point in using any other charm types that weren't mace/fist or fire/shadow.

I think the change was made for those reasons.  It's also a lot easier to understand how it works now; in fact, that was how I thought penetration worked when I first started playing