Author Topic: miss you guys  (Read 185 times)

Qqchampion

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
miss you guys
« on: 02:42:42 - 11/09/18 »
Dunno how many of you still frequent estiah let alone this forum. Just wanted to say that this community was fuckin lit at its peak and the game was fun as hell despite some really weird/bad design decisions.  Miss you all and would love to see a revival/remake of the game someday even tho I know it probably won't happen.
[21:39] <Morthalius> I'm going to be farming crystalite sprouts till lil baby jesus is back in diapers as decrepit geriatric jesus :(

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: miss you guys
« Reply #1 on: 13:44:20 - 11/09/18 »
Miss you too :)

Most players have moved on to mobile games, text-based games are simply
too old-school now for new players to enjoy. I doubt I have time for a complete
remake, Lezard even less so. I just hope I can bring an end to the chronicles
some day, but I don't even know anyone reads that lol.

Quazee

• Faithful
« Reply #2 on: 15:23:11 - 12/21/18 »
That's a bit harsh, Qq. More rigorously, not "harsh" but disingenuous.

I had, like most/all other E1 vets, my own opinions and preferences about various factors relevant to the game environment. I've shared some fairly critical perspectives before (three examples, sorted chronologically: 1, 2, 3), but loading the burden of E1's fate upon the developers alone is simply an unreasonable proposition. I've followed E1 since 2009, although I haven't started playing until very early 2010; as such, I'm aware of the jolly effervescence mentioned by Qq. If I were to think of a single year to describe E1's peak in terms of its community, I'd look at the second half of 2009 plus the first half of 2010. Perhaps slightly skewed towards including more of 2009, and subsequently less of the following year.

The problem becomes readily apparent at this moment. The very best mechanics of E1 have emerged later : KK (half of 2010), FotD/TBN/WWAMS (late 2010), SS/SiS (early 2011), UB and the last five-star events (late 2011), BD (half of 2012), all the PvP implications and higher-order ripples stemming from the newly introduced charms and mechanics. And that's looking at the game itself, which is only a part (the most relevant part, but still incomplete on its own) of the whole story. The addons and the wiki, in addition to the base game, provide the complete frame of the game environment. Everything was improved upon gradually, compared to the aforementioned peak of popularity which has unfortunately occurred too early. By 2012 the game environment was substantially better in every conceivable way, yet people were leaving in droves.

Therefore it's unjust to blame the developers solely, without the due consideration to the community itself. Personally I've been waaaaay more disappointed by the atrocious retention rates of E1 rather than any design or development decision I can think of. E1 was and still is a stellar game, but it's deserted altogether. Blame the players, not the developers.

That much said, I want to thank Lez and Nip once again for this hidden gem of a game. For the sheer determination (and willpower, hehe, they must be scripted as having infinite spirit!) of keeping the website online. It's unequivocally inspirational, a testament to conviction. :)

Qqchampion

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 00:17:26 - 12/25/18 »
Oh, no question that Lez and Nip did a great job overall, sorry if I came across as too harsh on them. Ultimately I think a lot of the player retention problems (while new content was still being developed) resulted from people shifting their gaming preferences away from browser based games and that's just a market trend kind of thing, not on the devs.

It's easy to look back and say this or that didn't work or should have been balanced differently, but that's after years of experimentation and deckbuilding. I suppose it's harsh to call design decisions bad when it's not obvious at the time and only becomes apparent after lots of testing in highlevel play. Certainly it's no worse than what happens in other card games, even the big names like mtg occasionally print something that isn't good for the game. That estiah managed to stay fun for years and achieved some fairly diverse highlevel metas in that time is impressive, all things considered. I guess what I'm trying to say is even though there's a lot of things I would change if I was going to make a spiritual sequel to estiah or e2, it was fun enough despite those things that I would still come back for new content.

The irc community was good through early 2011 I want to say, though there was a pretty big drop in mid-2010.
[21:39] <Morthalius> I'm going to be farming crystalite sprouts till lil baby jesus is back in diapers as decrepit geriatric jesus :(

Gabbin

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 20:37:35 - 12/26/18 »
I still log in and yell into my guild's shoutbox every now and then.  I like to think that one or two people might still be getting  notified by RSS and chuckle. Estiah was good times.  Do we still have an active wiki somewhere?
Everythings easier in pseudocode!

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #5 on: 10:48:37 - 12/30/18 »
Damn, it's been four years already since I stopped...
Estiah was amazing and I still consider it one of the best games I've played, so kudos to Lez and Nip for providing countless hours of engaging fun.  I also miss the community with whom I've spent hours theorycrafting, deck building and testing; great times. Shame the IRC has been deserted (by myself inlcuded); is there a Discord server?

PS: Have you guys seen that Zruda hit lvl 60? I mean, LEVEL SIXTY. 
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0