Author Topic: Quick Reference Book for Chinese Translators  (Read 27560 times)

Ravenpaw

• Wanderer
Re: Quick Reference Book for Chinese Translators
« Reply #30 on: 15:40:57 - 06/13/14 »
just a few thoughts:
1. Estiah (the world/land) : 娑尘界    no objection to this, though it sounds a little too Buddhist to me. For all I know most people wouldn't know what 娑尘界 exactly is( including myself -_-)
2. Sprite : 战宠  no objection to this until we find out what it exactly is.
3. as to Runewarden, I'd simply call it 护法。
4. Captain Gaufre IV : 船长高老四  not sure about the IV, as in Aegon IV?
5. Inachis : 平蝶  (I know it's final but I have to go over the thread anyway since I'm late, so I think I might as well bring it up- -)  sounds wired to me cause "平" can hardly stand for "公平" by itself alone, thus people are likely to miss the point.
6. Perhaps we could come up with a better translation for "cursed xxxx" as in "cursed ruby"? "不可净化的" just a little too long.
7. as for "Hand"(I suppose it's a deck of charms you got?), how about "卡组"? No particular reason, just because my friends and I used it all the time playing estiah 1.
8. as to the main characters' names, I can't really understand the link between the translations and the English names. Are there some etymological references to this?

Otherwise everything seems pretty neat to me. Those translations are really nice and way better than I could've  ever come up with. (I always find it that everything goes wrong when I try to interpret something English in Chinese. - -! )

Masterdolmick

• Adventurer
« Reply #31 on: 16:27:52 - 06/13/14 »
just a few thoughts:
1. Estiah (the world/land) : 娑尘界    no objection to this, though it sounds a little too Buddhist to me. For all I know most people wouldn't know what 娑尘界 exactly is( including myself -_-)
2. Sprite : 战宠  no objection to this until we find out what it exactly is.
3. as to Runewarden, I'd simply call it 护法。
4. Captain Gaufre IV : 船长高老四  not sure about the IV, as in Aegon IV?
5. Inachis : 平蝶  (I know it's final but I have to go over the thread anyway since I'm late, so I think I might as well bring it up- -)  sounds wired to me cause "平" can hardly stand for "公平" by itself alone, thus people are likely to miss the point.
6. Perhaps we could come up with a better translation for "cursed xxxx" as in "cursed ruby"? "不可净化的" just a little too long.
7. as for "Hand"(I suppose it's a deck of charms you got?), how about "卡组"? No particular reason, just because my friends and I used it all the time playing estiah 1.
8. as to the main characters' names, I can't really understand the link between the translations and the English names. Are there some etymological references to this?

Otherwise everything seems pretty neat to me. Those translations are really nice and way better than I could've  ever come up with. (I always find it that everything goes wrong when I try to interpret something English in Chinese. - -! )

Ha, of course I know Gaufre IV means the fourth generation :laugh:. But that's not a Chinese tradition to add it in the name. On the other hand, the order of birth is sometimes included. 高老四 sounds way more Chinese than 高福四世, isn't it?

Hand is 卡组 for card based game. I really think we need to come up with one for "stone" based game.

As for 护法, I think it's pretty good, but we'd better go with a 3-character word to look like nice with other Tier-4 classes.

I completely agree with 不可净化的 is a bit cumbersome. The elegant way should be something like X咒/毒 vs. Y咒/毒, in which Y sounds more deadly than X.
Then players may think that there're something special with Y version.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #32 on: 16:48:26 - 06/13/14 »
after some thought, 娑尘界 is final for the land. it sounds buddhist (intended) and has no much meaning (also intended).
i think it's not that bad if people don't know about it, it kinda adds some mystery to the lore.

i've completely missed out Sprite. they are unit icons used in battles, so according to chinese illustrators, they are
called 人物像素.

护法 is actually not bad for Runewarden, but we need three characters so maybe 护法师. it can be read as 护法/师 or 护/法师,
otherwise we can use the main theme of the class which is frost. 冰护法 or 霜护法 are a bit weird but not the worst.

高福四世 is the most literal translation for Gaufre IV but i like better. btw, Gaufre means Waffles in french and they
look like this http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaufre_%28cuisine%29 :D

actually i'd use 封石组 for Hand, even it was suggested for Gear. otherwise 卡组 is easier to understand in battle tutorials.

character names are completely re-invented, so there's no link to original english names. they are usually named based
on their doing and characters in the story. once again, any name is fine as long as they sound cool (and chinese).

Zomby

• Newcomer
« Reply #33 on: 17:21:00 - 06/13/14 »
after some thought, 娑尘界 is final for the land. it sounds buddhist (intended) and has no much meaning (also intended).
i think it's not that bad if people don't know about it, it kinda adds some mystery to the lore.

i've completely missed out Sprite. they are unit icons used in battles, so according to chinese illustrators, they are
called 人物像素.

护法 is actually not bad for Runewarden, but we need three characters so maybe 护法师. it can be read as 护法/师 or 护/法师,
otherwise we can use the main theme of the class which is frost. 冰护法 or 霜护法 are a bit weird but not the worst.

高福四世 is the most literal translation for Gaufre IV but i like better. btw, Gaufre means Waffles in french and they
look like this http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaufre_%28cuisine%29 :D

actually i'd use 封石组 for Hand, even it was suggested for Gear. otherwise 卡组 is easier to understand in battle tutorials.

character names are completely re-invented, so there's no link to original english names. they are usually named based
on their doing and characters in the story. once again, any name is fine as long as they sound cool (and chinese).

I assume Gaufre IV could be "华夫阿四", lotflmao.

And 像素 is pixel, nipal. Sprite is 头像, then.

Ravenpaw

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: 17:30:49 - 06/13/14 »
Greetings Masterdolmick!

1.The thing is, one doesn't have to be the fourth child to be the fourth captain, as the other three former captains could very well be from other families. :)
However, I agree on this that it's not fitting to translate it as "高福四世". Not that Nipal is wrong about that. But “X世” is exclusive to those who are in power, not a mere captain(if indeed he is just a mere captain). So I would suggest "第四任" or something like this.
One more thing, "Captain" in Chinese could mean "Leader of an army" as well as "leader of a ship", even "anyone who's in charge of a group of soldiers". So I'm not sure about this captain without the contexts.
Btw, thanks for the waffles. Nipal.

2. as for "sprite", in this case, I think we can use "图标”  or something like that.

3. “护法师” “封石组” sound both good to me. Actually, "冰护法“ is not strange to my ear at all, either. :)

4. Glad there is much discretion to deal with those names.

Zomby

• Newcomer
« Reply #35 on: 18:01:15 - 06/13/14 »
We set up a QQ group 316674395.
I saw our neighboring french RefBook were written in French ... Why don't us use Chinese so the discussion will be a lot easier.
We can discuss in Chinese there, real-time and focused, and post our consensual translations here in this topic.
« Last Edit: 18:04:13 - 06/13/14 by Zomby »

Catwraith

• Newcomer
« Reply #36 on: 18:09:40 - 06/13/14 »
靠,早就想用中文发帖了,一直没人提这茬我也不好意思出声……

anyway, new questions: XXXspawn and the number of skill level

the word spawn always seems very tricky to me, from SPAWN(再生侠) to darkspawns in Dragon Age(暗裔) to whatever-spawn in other games, i see no standard translation for these things(maybe i just havnt seen enough), so every time i met a spawn, i had to figure out what it was exactly myself, and that's !$!$^&$%.....

for the world of Estiah(western version) and 娑尘界(eastern version), i think the word creature fits both worlds, so, here's some thoughts of my own
暗影生物,暗影魔,幽影生物,影魔,影界生物,幽界生物,影界魔,幽界魔,i just think as many as i can and these words should fit any spawn related to dark or shadow, so choose freely.
BTW, how many spawns do we have in Estiah?

about the numbers, i think roman numerals are fine with chinese skill names, 刀剑精通 I,刀剑精通 II,刀剑精通 III looks fine by me. however if we going to translate the numbers, i suggest 一阶(初阶),二阶 instead of simple 一二三四,also,maybe traditional chinese would be better than simplified characters. it looks cooler~
刀剑精通壹阶,刀剑精通贰阶,刀剑精通叁阶 vs 刀剑精通一阶,刀剑精通二阶,刀剑精通三阶
or maybe put the X阶 at the beginning
壹阶刀剑精通,二阶刀剑精通

what you think?
« Last Edit: 22:38:43 - 06/13/14 by Catwraith »

Masterdolmick

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: 03:09:49 - 06/14/14 »
OK, 那我就不码英文了。Nip, you can still use English if you like to.
我们接下来会尽量在线下的Q群里商量,然后post公认的结果上来,所以还是希望有条件的进来一起讨论。也方便约时间打一些多人对战,看charm。

猫灵,你那几个精通的翻法我很喜欢,大写中文更气派一些。
“暗裔”是Dragon Age的翻法,我一直留着没动主要是不确定剧情里的这种和DA里那种是不是类似,我打得比较慢。打得快的可以建议一下。我个人觉得暗裔已经很好了。

华夫阿四很好。

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #38 on: 15:45:47 - 06/14/14 »
use chinese if it's easier for you to discuss, i'm using english only because
i'm sooooo slow at typing chinese using pinyin.

whatever words you decide on QQ, you only need to put them on the first post.

图标 is good enough for sprite actually, we can go with this instead of 头像 (which
is player avatar i think).

华夫阿四 is great for the captain :) about other character names, they are all except
Triffrey. 迟雷 is way too cool and positive for him, he's unlike to Joker from Batman.
if you have read the in-game story, you'd know he's all-in for chaos and confusion.
i'd give him something much more pejorative.

have you decide on Runewarden? 冰护法 is kinda my favorite atm.

we also need to decide on how to translate some important role-playing related words.
i'll try to explain a bit more about their functions in our lore so it may help you to find
something good.

Shadowspawn
i can't really spoil about their nature since we haven't finished writing the chronicles yet.
(some e1 players actually figured out who/what they were, pretty impressive)
anyway, they are ethereal (and somewhat) creatures, most of them come in beast form,
and die without leaving a corpse. "Shadow" is more about their color, dark purple mostly.
"Spawn" means they come out of nowhere. they are not naturally born like humans.
based on Catwraith's suggestion 幽界魔物 is the closest i think. 影魔/幽影 are good too,
in the story they are sometimes called "shadow beings". so we may have secondary names
like in The Walking Dead (American TV series), they don't all call zombies Walkers. i initially
wanted something with 孽障, but 幽界孽障 or 暗影孽物 sound wrong. maybe you have better
idea :)

Soul Harvesters

they are humans, and most of them are low-born. their purpose has changed from e1 to e2.
they don't follow a lot of rules, and they do anything to achieve their goals. like any
organization, there are bad and good guys in it. but they are perceived as rather bad by
the general public, so we need a negative word, 收魂会 is the best i come up.

White Dawn

they are defender of justice blah blah. their keep the order of Lumina city, a bit like the police.
in e2 they are actively engaged in fighting back Shadowspawns. i'd go with 白晓联军 something
like that.

Consortium of Zeal / The Zealous

they are magi from Zeal, they are fighting Shadowspawns too but they have their own agenda.
悬云法社 may be ok. they are called the Zealous by people who don't like them.

these names may appear in charm names, so we'd better find something for them first.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #39 on: 16:24:58 - 06/14/14 »
btw, i don't know if i ever said this, you can already see how the game looks in chinese
you'll be able to play in chinese on http://beta.estiah2.com/zh

there are some graphic glitches, no need to report them for now. i'll start fixing them
once we've got like 80% translation done.

texts marked as final will only show up after patch, so don't be surprised if you don't see
all translated words.

Masterdolmick

• Adventurer
« Reply #40 on: 17:58:33 - 06/14/14 »
O M G! The speed is AMAZING! Feels like the server is on my local PC!

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #41 on: 19:44:53 - 06/14/14 »
uh? it's the same server :E

Masterdolmick

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: 10:05:31 - 06/15/14 »
考虑到距离兔子设想的发布日期已经不远了,我想在这里确定几个主要的事项和翻译工作的优先级,优先级从高到低。任何有意见的可以提出,我们可以讨论并调整。
 1. 修改显著影响游戏体验的翻译错误,包括战斗及主界面内的重要文字提示和Tutorial中出现的所有相关文字。
     游戏的第一感觉非常重要,主界面和教学内容中的错误会显著影响初来乍到的新玩家的游戏体验,让人觉得云里雾里,不知所云。这点和E2的游戏初衷吻合即提供一个易上手难精通的体验。
 2. 修改Charm Effects类别的翻译,使得Charm的作用尽可能的浅显易懂。
     理由同上。
 3. 尽量完成玩家使用的charm的翻译,尤其是初级的。
     现在主要没完成的翻译之一是charm名,大量的玩家charm都没有完成。我推荐你们都看一下自己的gear,扫一遍翻一遍。
 4. 完成FAQ、成就名、城市描述、职业描述。
     这个最好一个人负责一块,保持统一,都不是很多。我负责职业描述。
 5. 修改其他翻译不够本地化的内容,包括商店名称/描述,副本名称,章节名称。
     在我开始动手之前,Nip已经收掉这其中很多部分。我们汉化组的一致意见是觉得是用词很好但是本土化不到位。
     副本:比如Dust Quarry :挑战风尘。风尘在汉语里可以理解成青楼妓女相关 (Fight whores :P)。还有之前的永浪,我就不一一列举了,组员列出了很多。
     店铺:名字不够简单明了。我知道在Wow里Dalaran有很多商店都有很有意思的英文名称,Nip初衷可能也是想弄得高大上一些。Point got,但是翻译过来的时候也还要考虑到通俗性。
     章节名字: 是一个很重要很需要文艺的地方,所以请给四字发挥(Zomby语)。
 6. 其他翻译内容。
 7. 第一幕剧情翻译。
     我提这点是想说,如果我们有余力把第一幕翻了。至少会让一部分人开始看剧情,并且觉得我们在做这件事。会有志士出马帮我们翻后续的。

#1和#2是两个工作量较小但是收益非常大的内容。
#3和#4需要大家携手。
#5和#1,2需要我们能够修改已经确定的翻译。Nip,请给出一个比较好的方案。
#7需要来个时间多的动手,我们可以全组一起Review。我时间少。

有漏掉的请继续补充。

Zomby

• Newcomer
« Reply #43 on: 10:35:45 - 06/15/14 »
考虑到距离兔子设想的发布日期已经不远了,我想在这里确定几个主要的事项和翻译工作的优先级,优先级从高到低。任何有意见的可以提出,我们可以讨论并调整。
 1. 修改显著影响游戏体验的翻译错误,包括战斗及主界面内的重要文字提示和Tutorial中出现的所有相关文字。
     游戏的第一感觉非常重要,主界面和教学内容中的错误会显著影响初来乍到的新玩家的游戏体验,让人觉得云里雾里,不知所云。这点和E2的游戏初衷吻合即提供一个易上手难精通的体验。
 2. 修改Charm Effects类别的翻译,使得Charm的作用尽可能的浅显易懂。
     理由同上。
 3. 尽量完成玩家使用的charm的翻译,尤其是初级的。
     现在主要没完成的翻译之一是charm名,大量的玩家charm都没有完成。我推荐你们都看一下自己的gear,扫一遍翻一遍。
 4. 完成FAQ、成就名、城市描述、职业描述。
     这个最好一个人负责一块,保持统一,都不是很多。我负责职业描述。
 5. 修改其他翻译不够本地化的内容,包括商店名称/描述,副本名称,章节名称。
     在我开始动手之前,Nip已经收掉这其中很多部分。我们汉化组的一致意见是觉得是用词很好但是本土化不到位。
     副本:比如Dust Quarry :挑战风尘。风尘在汉语里可以理解成青楼妓女相关 (Fight whores :P)。还有之前的永浪,我就不一一列举了,组员列出了很多。
     店铺:名字不够简单明了。我知道在Wow里Dalaran有很多商店都有很有意思的英文名称,Nip初衷可能也是想弄得高大上一些。Point got,但是翻译过来的时候也还要考虑到通俗性。
     章节名字: 是一个很重要很需要文艺的地方,所以请给四字发挥(Zomby语)。
 6. 其他翻译内容。
 7. 第一幕剧情翻译。
     我提这点是想说,如果我们有余力把第一幕翻了。至少会让一部分人开始看剧情,并且觉得我们在做这件事。会有志士出马帮我们翻后续的。

#1和#2是两个工作量较小但是收益非常大的内容。
#3和#4需要大家携手。
#5和#1,2需要我们能够修改已经确定的翻译。Nip,请给出一个比较好的方案。
#7需要来个时间多的动手,我们可以全组一起Review。我时间少。

有漏掉的请继续补充。

Can't agree more.

And, Nipal, I hope we could get a sheet of campaign and dungeon battle name/number, engaging characters, their charms and effects, since we need to know background before we advance to the charm name and charm dialog translation. Otherwise, we have to play through chapters. Most of us don't have that much time translating while playing a lot. To prevent spoiler, we don't have to know how much dmg a charm can actually do, but we do need to know whether it's a DoT, a Buff, a HoT, or simply a shout ...

Sometimes there are repeat names in a catogory, is it possible to display what they related to?
e.g. 2 'Defender's in Challenge name, one is the class challenge, the other is the skill of using protection.
« Last Edit: 10:44:42 - 06/15/14 by Zomby »

Ravenpaw

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: 11:47:42 - 06/15/14 »
Here are some translations that we've come up with:

soul harvesters: 收魂会/刈魂庵/拱木敛魂
white dawn: 白晓联军/苍晓联军
Consortium of Zeal / The Zealous: 悬云法社/眩晕党 -.-
Triffrey: 恶来/尤浑
Shadow spawn/Shadow beings:  幽界魔物/幽魔

As for Runewarden, I'd go with 冰护法。

Also we found a few finals that require some tweaks:

Glow Ball  营火璃球  :  I suppose it's meant to be 萤火璃球
Slumber 长眠:  “长眠”  is a nice way to say "dead", “沉睡” is the one suggested.
Passive 被动无奈: If it's as in "passive skills", then “被动” is the most widely used word. “被动无奈” is redundant and doesn't make much sense.
temple of trials 修炼神殿 :  试炼神殿
general goods  一般商品 :  特产/杂货店
inventory道具栏: 行囊
Get additional gears  获得额外的装备 :  获得额外的装备栏
GEARS STATS  装备状况:  装备一览表
Infused sword(mace/XX/XX..) 人魔合剑 :  浸魔剑(锤/XX/XX..) the original translation sounds like a man and an evil sipirt( or whatever) join together to form a sword the way nuclei do to form a heavier nuclues, which I believe is not the case. -.-
armory 千防万挡 :  怯防勇战 /兵器作坊
stretching glaive 拉伸劈砍: 延展之戟
« Last Edit: 11:56:13 - 06/15/14 by Ravenpaw »