Author Topic: (No effects) vs. (Hidden effects)  (Read 1445 times)

Sheira

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
(No effects) vs. (Hidden effects)
« on: 10:12:03 - 06/04/14 »
Some charms (like Puppet) say (No effects) while they actually have hidden effects. Charms that have an actual effect (apart from dialogue, ...) should consistently say (Hidden effects) instead of (No effects). When I read no effect, I expect them to have none.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: (No effects) vs. (Hidden effects)
« Reply #1 on: 09:29:26 - 06/05/14 »
if i remember well, there's actually a difference for us.

hidden effects: private cards that we intentionally hide the information
no effects: some effects are too complicated to describe, so their descriptions are skipped.
if it's the only effect on the card, the text generator thinks there's no effect at all.

we can use the same text if it's less confusing for players, but there are indeed some cards
without effects, often the ones with only yells.

Sheira

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 11:01:34 - 06/05/14 »
I am all for having both, but I would prefer if (No effects) means that the charm is completely irrelevant, it might be a shout or similar. (Hidden effects) should mean this charm actually does something in the fight that is hidden to not give away the fight solution.

The charm "Puppet" is the most important charm for its fight, but it says (No effects) instead of using (Hidden effects). If you watch the fight you might think that "Puppet" is only a shout charm without any actual fight mechanism.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 13:20:08 - 06/05/14 »
puppet is one example of "too complicated to describe" effects. i agree with you "no effects" is wrong here,
we just need to figure out a smart way to fix this.

Toben

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 22:42:40 - 06/05/14 »
For now, just changing "No effects" to "No description" would at least provide a clue that the charm does something.

Misha

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #5 on: 07:00:00 - 06/06/14 »
Hidden effects and no description are the exact same thing from the player's point of view, and "hidden effects" is the more accurate of the two phrases.  Please just use that for both.