Author Topic: Translators for Estiah2 needed!  (Read 7558 times)

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Translators for Estiah2 needed!
« on: 14:26:48 - 03/11/14 »
As many of you are aware, Estiah2 closed beta has been going on for several weeks.
In order to prepare for the open beta and the final release, we would like to translate the game into French and Chinese.
Please let us know if you are interested, and the actual translation process will not begin before a few weeks.

The translation tool is embedded in the game, including a validation process. Active translators will be rewarded at
the actual game release, we haven't ironed out the details, we just wanted to know how many translators we may have.

(Translators for other languages are not needed at the moment, maybe after the game release, thanks!)
« Last Edit: 22:11:58 - 03/15/14 by Nipal »

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
Re: Translators needed!
« Reply #1 on: 16:15:03 - 03/11/14 »
Count me in as a French translator. ;)
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: Translators for Estiah2 needed!
« Reply #2 on: 22:17:01 - 03/15/14 »
thank you sparky. we'd be thrilled if we can find anyone to translate the game into chinese,
google translate is kinda hilarious :D

Tienhaoshu

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: 15:44:57 - 03/20/14 »
Many hardcore CHS players AFK for long time,I think they need more time than us to know E2 coming back now.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 18:13:40 - 03/20/14 »
actually we are not asking one player to translate the whole game, it'll be a cooperative effort from all of our players.
we'd like to get the UI texts done at least before the release; no one reads the long-ass role-playing texts anyway,
so it's not important :)

e2 translation has a suggest=>vote=>approve system. basically we'll initialize all texts with automatic translations
and we hope players can fix the hilarious ones.

and it goes without saying, anyone can help out will get early beta access and most of all their help will allow us to
release the game earlier.

Tienhaoshu

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: 04:30:40 - 03/21/14 »
I know nothing about the programing but I am glad to do any help I can

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #6 on: 09:56:33 - 03/21/14 »
just sent you a beta key so you can take a look at the game :)

Nanayama

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: 06:46:44 - 04/17/14 »
I'm from China but the long-ass-role-play EN texts are actually a big plus to me....If one day ES1 went down, I hope that text could be preserved somewhere like in wiki.
That being said, I don't think I am able to contribute to ES2 translation due to real life matter so GL guys

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 09:26:51 - 04/18/14 »
actually if one player translate one sentence, we can get this done easily. there are
about 6000 words/sentences without counting RP texts, we have more players than that :)

most of pages are now ready for translation, so we hope to start open beta in a few weeks.

Ravenpaw

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: 05:00:05 - 05/04/14 »
I'm glad to offer my help as a Chinese translator.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #10 on: 08:55:07 - 05/07/14 »
let's see if we can get everything wrapped up for the next week and finally start open beta :E
making a game is easy, finish making a game is... well, impossible.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #11 on: 19:04:46 - 05/31/14 »
Estiah2 is now ready for translation. Motivated players, please head to http://beta.estiah2.com/i18n to start translating.
Of course, please spend a bit of time on the actual game to get the feel, so your translations will be more accurate.
FAQ page should help you out too.

We have initialized every entry with auto translated texts, most of them are quite laughable but some are good.
Your votes will help us to determine which ones we should use.

English-speaking players are also welcome to make suggestions to fix typos.

Prioritize entries without approved translations, as soon as we got this done, we'll be able to release the game :)

One last thing, it's very important that you SKIP entries if you are unsure about, or STOP translating if you find critical bugs about the
translation interface. We really don't want to start this all over and waste translators' time if translated texts are to be revealed
as unusable.

Thank you very much for your help.

Masterdolmick

• Adventurer
« Reply #12 on: 18:17:14 - 06/10/14 »
Estiah2 is now ready for translation. Motivated players, please head to http://beta.estiah2.com/i18n to start translating.
Of course, please spend a bit of time on the actual game to get the feel, so your translations will be more accurate.
FAQ page should help you out too.

We have initialized every entry with auto translated texts, most of them are quite laughable but some are good.
Your votes will help us to determine which ones we should use.

English-speaking players are also welcome to make suggestions to fix typos.

Prioritize entries without approved translations, as soon as we got this done, we'll be able to release the game :)

One last thing, it's very important that you SKIP entries if you are unsure about, or STOP translating if you find critical bugs about the
translation interface. We really don't want to start this all over and waste translators' time if translated texts are to be revealed
as unusable.

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Nipal,

Once being a hard-core player of E1, I'm happy to finally see you guys nearly finished E2. I personally consider it a wise move to include Chinese players, given that E1 being such a great game and so many Chinese players being barred outside of it simply because of language. But my concern is that i18n is one thing, server connectivity is also critical. I spent 2 hours on the game today and half of my battles were not nicely finished due to packet loss. I pinged beta.estiah2.com using the dominant Chinese ISP and had a ~20% packet loss rate. I'm afraid the situation would be even worse when multi-player battles are engaged. I hope you can spend some time on server locality/connection when you're about to include Chinese players.

That being said, I'm still very happy to spend sometime to do Chinese translation. However I have 2 questions regarding this:
 1. How do you mark a translation "final", i.e. how do you know it is a good one, given that you're not a local speaker yourself, I guess?
 2. Can I mark a translation "final"? Maybe I find some of the translation given by auto translators are good enough.

Hope you a big success with E2 in China!

Zomby

• Newcomer
« Reply #13 on: 04:13:52 - 06/11/14 »
It's great that we have a chance to participate in the translation of Estiah. :laugh:
I've edited and voted for some translation and found out that some works must be done first.

An onomasticon should be set up and read by new coming translators, including:
The official Chinese name of Estiah
Everything in the Common texts (some of them remain uncertain, like Charm, Rune, Ability)
Cities
NPCs (Like Woeful, whose name appears in Charms)
Types of Runes
Classes and Specification

Many words doesn't exist in Chinese, so we have to make new words with known Chinese Characters to describe them properly. The word maybe flawed or even mistaken if we are not fully understand it. I think it's important we interpret a Chinese Word to you guys as you can judge it. A  few of them may need a standalone dicussion. (Estiah, Charm, etc.)

And Nipal, I saw some of your translation quite good, you know some Chinese? :laugh:
« Last Edit: 09:11:44 - 06/11/14 by Zomby »

Masterdolmick

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: 07:23:21 - 06/11/14 »
It's great that we have a chance to participate in the translation of Estiah. :laugh:
I've edited and voted for some translation and find out that some works must be done first.

An onomasticon should be set up and read by new coming translators, including:
The official Chinese name of Estiah
Everything in the Common texts (some of them remain uncertain, like Charm, Rune, Ability)
Cities
NPCs (Like Woeful, whose name appears in Charms)
Types of Runes
Classes and Specification

Many words doesn't exist in Chinese, so we have to make new words with known Chinese Characters to describe them properly. The word maybe flawed or even mistaken if we are not fully understand it. I think it's important we interpret a Chinese Word to you guys as you can judge it. A  few of them may need a standalone dicussion. (Estiah, Charm, etc.)

And Nipal, I find some of your translation quite good, you know some Chinese? :laugh:

Agreed. We definitely need a fixed, standard glossary to refer to. Or else moderator would need to constantly fix these.
Btw, I have two suggestions:
 1. Regarding your translation with cities, generally we would prefer a 城, stands for city, at the end of the name to describe a city, e.g. Triland would better be translated to 盘沙城, instead of 盘沙 which sounds like certain artifact to us.
 2. Regarding your translation with charms, especially with buff and debuff, we have preconceptions of translation in WOW, which are 增益 and 减益. You can argue they are not very elegant but it has been there for many years. And we generally prefer two characters to one, such as 双刃 for twinblade. 双 means double, dual in Chinese, so if you prefer to stick with single character, you should also reconsider to choose the proper one.

Actually