Author Topic: New player seeks advice for a long term build plan  (Read 6545 times)

Kurzedmetal

• Newcomer
Hi, I recently joined this game, seems quite cool, I've read a while the forums and the wiki, trying to figure out most game mechanics.

I'm trying to make a long term class and stat plan to follow in my char (I'd take care of "gear" setups later).

I kinda like the Warden and Shadow Charm (maybe picking Scout+Shaman for some bane stuff and ward debuffs) and I saw that a Pow/Dex + Con build would open the doors of a lot of interesting charms and strategies with... Axe, Sword, Spear, Earth, Shadow, Frost, Spirit and Summon...

I'm not sure if I'll have enough points to meat their requirements, maybe I'm asking too much, so any kind of advice will be appreciated.
I'm not sure how many attribute points will I be getting from skills/level up/jobs either, so, if you could give me some examples of high level character stats, I'll be grateful.

Thanks in advance :)

Seniunas

• Wanderer
Re: New player seeks advice for a long term build plan
« Reply #1 on: 17:07:23 - 03/05/14 »
hm, why warden, if you like shadow? Pick Inquisitor instead, warden isn't best choice for newcomer, harder play with them, better make alt warden, when you have a bit more expierience with game (alts are alowed, as many, as you want, just don't use them to get advantage for others your  chars).

you'll have enough stats to use any charm (except class restrictred) at 51,5 lvl or so, stats are unlimited, just after mastering all skills and used all 900 for jobs/food you'll be limited to +1 stat per day (when you are 40+ lvl you can use 1 elixir per day, that not counts to 900 limit), or +2 pow, if you lucky enough to get special food from lvl 48 dungeon.

this script can help to see how many stats, hp and spirit you already got and how much you will get from leveling and jobs

also AllinOne is another "must have" script, makes life much easier here, check forum for others scripts too, there are more of them

if you need more help, just ask

Kurzedmetal

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: 19:17:06 - 03/05/14 »
hm, why warden, if you like shadow? Pick Inquisitor instead, warden isn't best choice for newcomer
I kinda liked Warden because their class specific charms, they seems versatile, its auras seem strong and has a few nice buffs, but I'm very new and may be wrong  ::).
I contemplated the Inquisitor after creating this thread too, seems like a good choice too to support banes.
I mostly liked Shadow because I like the idea of ward destruction + magic damage, I like banes too but I wouldn't like to rely too much on them like Inquisitors do, seems like they could easily countered with Cleanse. It just seems that picking what I described in my first post would support a lot of strategies I'd like to try.
Why do you say Warden is hard for newcomers?

you'll have enough stats to use any charm...
Thanks, knowing I'll be able to max at least 3 stats will definitely help picking my classes.
« Last Edit: 20:26:54 - 03/05/14 by Kurzedmetal »

Seniunas

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: 20:53:56 - 03/05/14 »
all strategies have counters, auras for example can be countered by many reducers, and null barbs will make your life really hard. Banes are cool, and less worry about cleanse, at high level most people don't use it, just completely useless against anything else than banes, also inquisitor is really good in spirit.

Or simply you can create 2 chars, one warden and other inquisitor and later just stick to which likes you more

Quazee

• Faithful
« Reply #4 on: 07:41:51 - 03/06/14 »
I like banes too (...) seems like they could easily countered with Cleanse.

(...) less worry about cleanse, at high level most people don't use it, just completely useless against anything else than banes

In PvE, cleanse is very strong where relevant (i.e. situational). In PvP, muddy waters; from (very) weak to (very) strong. Its effectiveness is hindered by fight duration (much shorter fights in PvP, typically, which shifts the emphasis from defensive options, like cleanse, to offensive options) and by the very nature of the things it counters:
1. Banes can also be dealt with bane reducers. Almost all of them, to be rigorous.
2. Offensive negative damage modifiers (i.e. debuffs) are, generally speaking, rather ineffective in PvP outside of a few select cases. On top of that, they can also be dealt with self-normalize or simply be outpaced by positive damage modifiers.
3. MAR are niche options, being relevant only in a few select cases. Not an issue in the overwhelming majority of 1v1 fights.

That much said, cleanse effects are, indeed, the ultimate counter of banes. It really doesn't matter that much, though - banes are very rare in PvP before level 40, and they're definitely rare at 50+ (n.b. damage banes; spirit banes are overplayed, but still not overpowered).

Seniunas

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: 17:13:03 - 03/06/14 »
rare don't mean bad, just most players play spirit, because it's easier, or shortdecks, because they are simply stronger than normal longdecks, on other hand, it gives advantage, ppl are not aware of banes that much, most just autoinclude forest medicine, now using banes in 51 colli and can say it's rather good than bad strategy here, and i'm even not an inq

Quazee

• Faithful
« Reply #6 on: 17:52:50 - 03/06/14 »
rare don't mean bad, just most players play spirit, because it's easier, or shortdecks, because they are simply stronger than normal longdecks, on other hand, it gives advantage, ppl are not aware of banes that much, most just autoinclude forest medicine, now using banes in 51 colli and can say it's rather good than bad strategy here, and i'm even not an inq

Not to sound like a condescending prick, that's exactly what "rare" means when you get closer and closer to being a Highlord. It means "not strong (enough)"; alternatively, "not overpowered". Damage banes are mostly fine (when they're actually feasible, i.e. level 40+), but they don't have the potential to make or break a Highlord.

Seniunas

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: 18:28:55 - 03/06/14 »

Not to sound like a condescending prick, that's exactly what "rare" means when you get closer and closer to being a Highlord. It means "not strong (enough)"; alternatively, "not overpowered". Damage banes are mostly fine (when they're actually feasible, i.e. level 40+), but they don't have the potential to make or break a Highlord.

sure, like most of others strategies, so best way is to make summoner or warlond, easy way for highlord  :laugh: so maybe some constructive feedback you can give to newcomer on choosing class, besides your critic to banes?

Kurzedmetal

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: 21:30:26 - 03/06/14 »
Thx for the info guys, it helped a lot.

I'll definitely go for the Scout -> Shaman route, focusing on Pow/Dex/Con first, and I'll pick the T3 class when I have a bit more experience about the game (although I'm liking the idea of Inq too now), at least now I know what stats and charms to focus for a while.
« Last Edit: 21:56:45 - 03/06/14 by Kurzedmetal »