Author Topic: New player (kind of)-recommend a class for me  (Read 2907 times)

Agentv

• Newcomer
New player (kind of)-recommend a class for me
« on: 00:31:51 - 02/08/14 »
Okay, I had an account on Estiah a few years back but quit. Recently I found myself returning, but unsatisfied with my old character (I was new to mmo's then and leveled him too fast) but I do still remember how to play, meaning I'm not a total newbie. I was looking stuff up on the wiki and I was hoping I could get some opinions (and would like to know if my perception is correct) on the T3 classes that seem to suit the style of play I enjoy in other mmo's and pen and paper RPGs. As you'll see I like to become more powerful as the battle progresses. Only looking to create one new character, even though this game allows multis. This is due purely to the amount of time I can afford to dedicate to this game.

Champion: Although getting more powerful attacks seems to be a thing here, the ability to use so many attacks in one turn sparks my interest, and some of the class charms look very unique, and therefore seem like they stay useful longer)

Warden: I like that they can empower themselves and depower the enemy at the same time. Not sure how good projection is, but it looks like an interesting strategy. They also seem to have charms that stay handy for a while

Warlord: Seems to be like Warden on a base level, but a little more focused on the 'tank' role in palce of weakening the opponent's attacks

Slayer: Seems very complicated, but very versatile. I also like them partially for an out of character reason: since none of my rl friends play these types of games (they prefer the fancy downloadable ones, I just don't have the time to dedicate to that to a game), I might not be able to have consistent partners for dungeons and collesiums, so being able to do shifting damage  helps me fit in with a group of 'randoms'

Seniunas

• Wanderer
Re: New player (kind of)-recommend a class for me
« Reply #1 on: 08:18:59 - 02/08/14 »
first of all, you can't level too fast, only thing you can do wrong is pick class you don't wan't, anything else can be fixed, just takes time.

Champion's best charm is "kiai", in GvG or 3v3 colliseum everyone likes to have one in party  :laugh: but since you more for solo play, you won't benefit that much of it (still could be usable in some solo dungeons). Getting more powerful is tricky, "build up" useless at high level, "black belt" useless always, "Helmsplitter" works only if enemy play ton of armor. "Champion Crest" helps you make many attacks in one turn (no one other class can use more than 4 charms per turn, champion can use up to 9), but outside "Battle Tempo" deck is quite useless. "Counterforce" is really unique, and right played really devastating charm. In overall Champion isn't most powerfull class, but it's fun to play and have some unique abilities.

Warden is tanky too, but more focused on ward, debuffing isn't really useful, but it could fit to your description you looking for - some charms hits based on negative modifiers on enemy (like "Blightwood blade"), so more debuff you enemy, more damage he takes. Best warden charm is "Ice Tomb", but it won't fit in deck described earlier, since it cleans enemy, so dissapears all negative modifiers, but can be really annoying for enemies if you play something different. Projections are very weak, only 1 powerfull projection out there - "Radiant Aegis", but that's non-class and can be (and is popular) played by anyone, so you don't need be warden, if you plan play projections.

Warlord came first in my mind when i read your description about getting stronger while battle is going on, they start slowly, but if you let him live long enough, you'll regret it, they can get insane amount of melee CPB and punish you for moment of weakness  :laugh: also they have access to "Gravity Spear", probably most powerfull charm in end game colliseum.

Slayer is really harder to play than others of mentioned before, but that's not mean it's worse. But i'll leave this to Sparky, he's probably best slayer here, so can better explain strong and weak sides of this class.

About out of character you a bit wrong, most of dungeons requires very different strategies, so to beat them you have to play pretty much all strategies possible here, sometimes you can use few of your class charms, but in some cases all of them will be useless, but don't worry, class charm have only small part of all charms, so you get enough of non-class to play any strategy you need or like. But that's goes only for PvE, in PvP you can stick to your class strategy as long as you want.

Powerslave

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 21:32:33 - 02/08/14 »
I have two words for you: AXEAXEAXE!!!!

Agentv

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: 21:33:52 - 02/08/14 »
first of all, you can't level too fast, only thing you can do wrong is pick class you don't wan't, anything else can be fixed, just takes time.

Champion's best charm is "kiai", in GvG or 3v3 colliseum everyone likes to have one in party  :laugh: but since you more for solo play, you won't benefit that much of it (still could be usable in some solo dungeons). Getting more powerful is tricky, "build up" useless at high level, "black belt" useless always, "Helmsplitter" works only if enemy play ton of armor. "Champion Crest" helps you make many attacks in one turn (no one other class can use more than 4 charms per turn, champion can use up to 9), but outside "Battle Tempo" deck is quite useless. "Counterforce" is really unique, and right played really devastating charm. In overall Champion isn't most powerfull class, but it's fun to play and have some unique abilities.

Warden is tanky too, but more focused on ward, debuffing isn't really useful, but it could fit to your description you looking for - some charms hits based on negative modifiers on enemy (like "Blightwood blade"), so more debuff you enemy, more damage he takes. Best warden charm is "Ice Tomb", but it won't fit in deck described earlier, since it cleans enemy, so dissapears all negative modifiers, but can be really annoying for enemies if you play something different. Projections are very weak, only 1 powerfull projection out there - "Radiant Aegis", but that's non-class and can be (and is popular) played by anyone, so you don't need be warden, if you plan play projections.

Warlord came first in my mind when i read your description about getting stronger while battle is going on, they start slowly, but if you let him live long enough, you'll regret it, they can get insane amount of melee CPB and punish you for moment of weakness  :laugh: also they have access to "Gravity Spear", probably most powerfull charm in end game colliseum.

Slayer is really harder to play than others of mentioned before, but that's not mean it's worse. But i'll leave this to Sparky, he's probably best slayer here, so can better explain strong and weak sides of this class.

About out of character you a bit wrong, most of dungeons requires very different strategies, so to beat them you have to play pretty much all strategies possible here, sometimes you can use few of your class charms, but in some cases all of them will be useless, but don't worry, class charm have only small part of all charms, so you get enough of non-class to play any strategy you need or like. But that's goes only for PvE, in PvP you can stick to your class strategy as long as you want.

Thanks for the feedback and heads up on the different strategies I'm starting to notice it now, and I'm guessing it only gets more varied in later levels. It seems like you're recommending warlord?

Seniunas

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: 22:18:29 - 02/08/14 »
warlord just fits best for your description, or you could listen to powerslave and pick berserk, then you could just smash everything in your way with axe  :laugh:

Elitebreak

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: 03:29:53 - 02/12/14 »
@ Agentv BTW you can create extra accounts like everybody. I have more than 3 accounts.

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #6 on: 11:55:20 - 02/19/14 »
Well since I was summoned to this thread, let's address the Slayer:
As far as empowering as the fight progresses, Warlord, Warden, Summoner and Hierarch are the best. They also happen to be the ones countered the hardest by Slayers. Slayers are very versatile indeed, and they don't exactly have an obvious strategy of their own (you'll realize later that "shifting" damage isn't exactly great, or rather that the damage being of the "shifting" kind doesn't make up for the damage amount being lower). Therefore you'll have to go and farm charms to be able to do something properly. Now the thing is, a good Slayer can adapt to about anything. Their "gimmick", so to speak, is specifically to face a specific opponent and counter them, canceling out whatever strategy they had prepared, and then finding a way to bring them down.

Now as you seem to still be in the early levels of Estiah, there are a few points I should make clear: past level 40 (when the game "really" starts), you'll find yourself needing to be somewhat potent in just any strategy, no matter your class. Indeed, dungeons get more complex as it goes and simply running your best PvP deck won't work, you'll have to find the way through each fight like a puzzle. For this reason, you'll need to be able to play most strategies/runes to a certain extent anyway. Note that it's also totally possible to just play through the entire game as an adventurer. My point there is, while a class really adds a lot and can define your character's identity (I rarely make any non-PvE deck where I don't include at least one class charm), it doesn't limit or restrict you. This is even truer with Slayers as their class charms are more "counter against something" rather than "support for this specific strategy", meaning you'll need to be inventive to include them appropriately in your decks, but they can be used in a very wide array of strategies, in both solo and multiplayer fights.

Feel free to ask further in this thread if you want me to develop specific points, I'll be glad to help out. :)
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Agentv

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: 23:14:40 - 02/19/14 »
Well since I was summoned to this thread, let's address the Slayer:
As far as empowering as the fight progresses, Warlord, Warden, Summoner and Hierarch are the best. They also happen to be the ones countered the hardest by Slayers. Slayers are very versatile indeed, and they don't exactly have an obvious strategy of their own (you'll realize later that "shifting" damage isn't exactly great, or rather that the damage being of the "shifting" kind doesn't make up for the damage amount being lower). Therefore you'll have to go and farm charms to be able to do something properly. Now the thing is, a good Slayer can adapt to about anything. Their "gimmick", so to speak, is specifically to face a specific opponent and counter them, canceling out whatever strategy they had prepared, and then finding a way to bring them down.

Now as you seem to still be in the early levels of Estiah, there are a few points I should make clear: past level 40 (when the game "really" starts), you'll find yourself needing to be somewhat potent in just any strategy, no matter your class. Indeed, dungeons get more complex as it goes and simply running your best PvP deck won't work, you'll have to find the way through each fight like a puzzle. For this reason, you'll need to be able to play most strategies/runes to a certain extent anyway. Note that it's also totally possible to just play through the entire game as an adventurer. My point there is, while a class really adds a lot and can define your character's identity (I rarely make any non-PvE deck where I don't include at least one class charm), it doesn't limit or restrict you. This is even truer with Slayers as their class charms are more "counter against something" rather than "support for this specific strategy", meaning you'll need to be inventive to include them appropriately in your decks, but they can be used in a very wide array of strategies, in both solo and multiplayer fights.

Feel free to ask further in this thread if you want me to develop specific points, I'll be glad to help out. :)

Thanks. So what I understand from this is classes other than slayers go "I specialize in these two or three aspects, use them in PvP, and can clear dungeons where this strategy works easily", but have a harder time outside their comfort zone, which they have to face eventually. On the other hand, a slayer goes "Oh, I see what you're doing, let me find something to counter that", but they often have to think a little outside the box to do so. Am following you correctly?

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #8 on: 23:24:38 - 02/19/14 »
More or less, yeah. I think it's also a case of other classes being "Oh I'm a scout/wizard/whatevs, I get powerful charms for PvP/PvE early on, no need to think too hard!" while Slayer (especially the novice->sage one aka best) is more like "Uuh okay so most of my class charms are just useless, guess I better farm my dungeons and crafts well if I want to be able to do anything at all". Let's just say that for a first char, it forces you to start thinking outside the box and get used to crafting/farming earlier than for most other classes.
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0