Author Topic: List of suggestions for new players.  (Read 48938 times)

Meebo

• Adventurer
List of suggestions for new players.
« on: 16:25:37 - 07/30/08 »
I wished there was more to help newcomers when I first started, so as I levelled up I tried to collect a list of tips to pass on.  If anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

1. Explore! Once you're level 3 or 4 feel free to leave Inachis and head to Aleas and Eversweep.  Both have level 4 Dungeons and PVP opportunities. From there head to Zeal or Lumina.

2. Organize your decks.  You only have 4, so try to keep them specialized. Give them names to tell them apart.  Just click on the name of the deck next to the big plus sign and then remember to hit save when you're done.

3. Create a Levelling deck which always includes the cards with skills you are trying to increase.  Ideally that deck doesn't have any cards from skills that are already maxed for your level if you can still win without them.  That's because you gain the most points in the skills you use most effectively in a fight, but none if those skills are already maxed.

4. Go through and view your charms before choosing a job, figure out what points you need to meet requirements and choose a job that meets as many of them as you can.

5. Use the Wiki for information : http://estiah.aswt.net/ As you level, help maintain the Wiki.

6. If you're strapped for cash early on be sure to complete Inachis Sewers 5 times to fill your renown for Sewer Cleaner.  The rewards is 500 gold.

7. Know what battle skills are and how to increase them : http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=Battle

8. Understand how spirit and exhaustion works.  Your spirit total is the maximum amount of cards you can bring to a fight.  If you run out of cards during a fight you lose from exhaustion.  At low levels you gain 1 Spirit each level, but in later levels there are diminishing returns. 

9. Read fight logs carefully.  Does an enemy do a lot of damage but not use a lot of armor? Do they use only use ward and not armor? Only damage of one type? Do they have unlimited spirit? Very limited spirit? What type of damage does their DoT(Damage over Time spell) do?

10. Understand Focus and Protect. Focus targets the same enemy for as many rounds as are specified on the card, or until the enemy dies or someone else protects the enemy. Protect forces an enemy to target you instead of your allies for as many rounds as are specified on the card. Focus and Protect themselves have no use in 1v1 fights. Focus is useful when fighting multiple enemies. Protect is useful when fighting with allies.

11. Hold off on gathering. Your fighting skills are more cost effective at low levels because you can gain skill in more than one at a time.  Later perhaps level 15-25 when you've earned a few gathering points from doing jobs it becomes more cost effective to invest in gathering.

12. Report bugs and typos on the forum Bugs & Typos forum and you'll earn motivation once in a while in the form of [Sweet Brownies] from the developers.

13. Don't be shy about creating multiple characters it's allowed.  Just don't use apprentice/mentoring between your own characters.  Use the things you've learned from your first character to make your second character better or explore an entirely new Class track. When you create a new character, ask another player (or guildmate) if they want that character as an apprentice.

14. Most importantly play your own way, have fun, and feel free to ask questions of the community either on the board or in-game.
« Last Edit: 12:07:10 - 12/23/08 by Lezard »

Razgriz

• Bunny Cultist
  • I am Lezard!
Re: List of suggestions for new players.
« Reply #1 on: 16:31:53 - 07/30/08 »
lol, nice trick on 6 >:D

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm88/8924th/estiahclanlogo2(2).png

Για Έλληνες μόνο... δείξτε το και σε άλλους!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4SirjZv1b0

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 16:46:12 - 07/30/08 »
i can sticky your post if you guys keep it updated.

Minrhael

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: 10:12:00 - 07/31/08 »
argh, and all 3 of my characters stopped at 80/100 sewer cleaning i think.  i knew i should have finished it up with one just to see what happened.

Malodorous

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: 03:55:33 - 12/22/08 »
Im gonna bump this up, it helped me alot.

Ugluk

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #5 on: 17:24:14 - 12/22/08 »
Nip, I think it would be good to sticky this.  Everyone will keep adding suggestions, and Meebo can just edit to consolidate so the thread stays clean.  If he wants to give it up, I can keep an updated post too (but I'd rather he did it).
« Last Edit: 17:08:05 - 05/06/09 by Ugluk »

Ugluk

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #6 on: 17:29:53 - 12/22/08 »
15. There is NO WAY to screw up a character before Lvl 20, and even then it's only if you pick a class that doesn't lead to your T3 destination.
16.  Most people keep two main stats, and pick a 3rd to be their secondary stat.  The 4th should be more or less ignored.
17.  Start reviewing the class page around Lvl 10 and considering what T3 you want to work towards.  Once you pick one, you can choose a T1 class and figure out your stats.  The forums are a good place to pick up extra info on the classes and their strategies.

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz, trollin yer topixz
« Reply #7 on: 22:54:14 - 01/01/09 »
18. Best places to level up [Heroism] early - Cursed forest, Lumina, lvl6; Rogues colossus, Aleas, lvl 15.
YGBSM
[20:31]   <Schutz|Work>   Lez trolls much better than wolfz! :p
We make server cry with Tears of Blood

Malodorous

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: 02:13:04 - 01/28/09 »
Nip, I think it would be good to sticky this.  Everyone will keep adding suggestions, and Malodorous can just edit to consolidate so the thread stays clean.  If he wants to give it up, I can keep an updated post too (but I'd rather he did it).
O_o

Anyways, this is a great list and really helped me early on.

Larcent

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 03:01:23 - 01/28/09 »
19. Don't be afraid of PVP. It's simple, relatively painless, helps you perfect your play style, and most importantly, gets you materials that let you craft charms that are more powerful at their level than charms purchased from vendors. Also, certain level 40 classes require skill ranks that can only be gained from participating in PVP (cruelty, recklessness).

I'd figure I'd add that because I generally don't engage in PVP in most games and don't like it, but it's much different here.

Ugluk

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #10 on: 16:26:43 - 02/19/09 »
20)  Level up every single Battle skill as high as you can as soon as you can using specially designed arena decks.  While it will always be possible to make it up sometime later on, it's best to keep up with your skills.

21) 900 growth only applies to the stats you gain from regular foods and jobs.  The job skills, battle skills, gathering skills, and any elixirs do not apply to your growth total.

22) You cannot sell or trade charms.  Never have, and the game developers are very clear that you never will.  Even low level charms are usually needed for certain higher level dungeons anyway, so selling would only hurt you in the long run anyways.

23) You get 20 Action Points (AP) every two hours.  This is all you will ever get, and there is less than 0 chance that this will be increased.  Since the devs don't want people who pay money to get an advantage, that is also not an option to get more AP.  Don't ask, many already have.

24) Once you accumulate 240 AP you will start to get diminishing returns (less than 20 AP per hour) until you reach 1200 AP.  At 1200 AP you will not get more.

25) The primary skills unlock a new rank every 10 levels.  You can't get points towards Rank 2 until you reach level 10.  Some of the more obscure ones open up at other intervals.

26) To choose your title:  Go to your character page, click on the little icon next to your character name on the left.  A dropdown will appear where you can select your desired title.
« Last Edit: 21:05:11 - 05/05/09 by Ugluk »

Popeye

• Faithful
« Reply #11 on: 18:44:23 - 02/19/09 »
Whenever you have the money to spare, keep your pet fed and run it in races. Randomly winning a few trophies will come in humongous help later on.

Fezznozomu

• Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: 00:18:51 - 05/06/09 »
Thanks.  This helps a lot! Us noobs like new player suggestions...

Enigma

• Wanderer
  • Dirige, Domine, in conspectu tuo viam meam
    • Revolutionist
« Reply #13 on: 01:05:11 - 05/06/09 »
2. Organize your decks.  You only have 4, so try to keep them specialized. Give them names to tell them apart.  Just click on the name of the deck next to the big plus sign and then remember to hit save when you're done.

Now am I blind not to see the "Click to rename" heading there or what? :laugh: I honestly didn't notice that until now. I knew I should've been active in the forum earlier on.
One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this.
- Don Quixote de la Mancha

Sakura

• Newcomer
« Reply #14 on: 20:03:17 - 05/06/09 »
eiii pense q habia q descargar el juego!!!!!!!!!

me qde con ganas de jugar  :( :( :( :( :(