Author Topic: CKM 3 too difficult for advertised level  (Read 3889 times)

Kadafan

• Adventurer
CKM 3 too difficult for advertised level
« on: 08:42:51 - 07/08/12 »
From reading the charms, it appears that some kata charms are required to trigger its combo and provide you with some defense. Problem is there's a continual armor and ward drain throughout the fight that prevents building armor and ward. As such, the crimson dragon is gathering an incredible amount of CPB and hitting for multiple hits because the player can't maintain consistent armor unless the player somehow survives to trigger multiple combos.

The dragon can be killed by banes - but for each bane the dragon will kill you. It also reduces the length of banes. Plain old armor and auras are not enough to counteract the armor and ward drain that persists throughout the fight.

Very late in the game there are some kata runes that can stave off destruction for enough time but they are not available to many level 49 or even level 50 players. My suggestion is to tone down the armor corrosion just a bit so that the dragon isn't consistently hitting the player for massive amounts of damage early in the fight.

Arimith

• Bunny Cultist
Re: CKM 3 too difficult for advertised level
« Reply #1 on: 13:36:08 - 07/08/12 »
Use auras - they'll trigger after the corrosion and save you the extra hits
Use unlimited banes
Loose is what your underwear is when the elastic breaks
Lose is what then happens to your dignity

Quazee

• Faithful
« Reply #2 on: 13:54:25 - 07/08/12 »
I've cleared (read : farmed) CKM at level 45 with one character, and then at 46 with a second character. From my own experience : F1-F3 do tend to lead to "significant" loss ratios, but nothing dramatic (e.g. no DT F1 below nominal level, no Prelex F2 below nominal level, no RNG hell like WWAMS F3, no WWAMS F4 as Int-dump). The achievement runs, indeed, are fairly tricky to pull off at 45/46.

At nominal level, however... the situation is entirely different. All CKM encounters should lead to 95% success ratios. As such, I disagree with changing CKM F3 in any way, shape, or form. The whole dungeon is very well-tuned; no encounter is particularly under-tuned or over-tuned.

Bazabaza

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 15:48:39 - 07/08/12 »
I've farmed it at lvl44 with minimal problems, and even those didnt come from F3 but from F1. F2 is far easier than the others. F4 can be tricky if you dont have any useful charms (but there's another way it can be done so again shouldnt be too difficult). F3 (same as F4 and F1) requires you to find the right balance of charms. Its also important to understand how the fight works. The banes arent there to kill him directly, but to trigger his life loss, so any ol' bane will do (make them have a kata rune to help you trigger the combo). Also use some summons (again, any ol' summon with a kata rune) to spread the incoming damage over both your armor and your ward, its much easier to defend that way. Then just add some defenses (prismatic charge, pyric charge), and give it a try, if it doesnt work try tweaking the amount of banes/summons/defenses/kata runes till you find the right balance. Another way is to use debuffs instead of defenses to keep you alive, that should work equally well.

Osmiridium

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: 17:16:35 - 07/08/12 »
I'm another who found it fine even at 44. Most things have been said, but I'll add that kata debuffs are great (Conductive Ice, Balefire, Blightwood Blade). Most charms you use should be 2 of these: kata/bane/summon/debuff (or otherwise keeping you alive), or just be effective on their own, as the usual defensive auras are. That is, if you go the Persistent Disease route.

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #5 on: 17:17:20 - 07/08/12 »
I'm another who found it fine even at 44. Most things have been said, but I'll add that kata debuffs are great (Conductive Ice, Balefire, Blightwood Blade). Most charms you use should be 2 of these: kata/bane/summon/debuff (or otherwise keeping you alive), or just be effective on their own, as the usual defensive auras are. That is, if you go the Persistent Disease route.
Conductive Ice, best charm ever!  <3
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Quazee

• Faithful
« Reply #6 on: 17:44:08 - 07/08/12 »
(...) I'll add that kata debuffs are great (Conductive Ice, Balefire, Blightwood Blade).

CI is neat on CKM (both F3&F4), but for some strange reason I'm more fond of using the low-level banes (Dented Axe, Poisoned Sword, Spider Kris) on Lies. They're no Kysin Coruscating Daggers, alright, but it's fairly hilarious to wipe the dust off them 30+ levels after becoming available. 

Kadafan

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: 21:51:18 - 07/08/12 »
I've farmed it at lvl44 with minimal problems, and even those didnt come from F3 but from F1. F2 is far easier than the others. F4 can be tricky if you dont have any useful charms (but there's another way it can be done so again shouldnt be too difficult). F3 (same as F4 and F1) requires you to find the right balance of charms. Its also important to understand how the fight works. The banes arent there to kill him directly, but to trigger his life loss, so any ol' bane will do (make them have a kata rune to help you trigger the combo). Also use some summons (again, any ol' summon with a kata rune) to spread the incoming damage over both your armor and your ward, its much easier to defend that way. Then just add some defenses (prismatic charge, pyric charge), and give it a try, if it doesnt work try tweaking the amount of banes/summons/defenses/kata runes till you find the right balance. Another way is to use debuffs instead of defenses to keep you alive, that should work equally well.

Thanks this made it more clear to me.

Bazabaza

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 22:22:25 - 07/08/12 »
You're welcome :)

Powerslave

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 22:23:43 - 07/08/12 »
Just use plain old aura projection, and don't give a damn about kata runes, debuff, or anything else:
http://wl.attrib.org/estiah/replay/6ad613b1

Yogurt

• Faithful
  • forgotten, forgiven
« Reply #10 on: 08:12:29 - 07/09/12 »
To me the worst fight is WWAMS fight 3. Then Dark Tide fight 1 then maybe Water of Life the last(at corresponding level).
Edit: not Water of Life but Temple of Tides(always confusing them :)
« Last Edit: 08:23:43 - 07/09/12 by Yogurt »
Modulation Crystal takes effect, Sourmilk's armor raises to 148
Sourmilk's melee attacks are increased by up to 2940
Sourmilk's magic attacks are increased by up to 2940
The Modulation Crystal loses its glow

Yogurt

• Faithful
  • forgotten, forgiven
« Reply #11 on: 08:22:08 - 07/09/12 »
(...) I'll add that kata debuffs are great (Conductive Ice, Balefire, Blightwood Blade).

CI is neat on CKM (both F3&F4), but for some strange reason I'm more fond of using the low-level banes (Dented Axe, Poisoned Sword, Spider Kris) on Lies. They're no Kysin Coruscating Daggers, alright, but it's fairly hilarious to wipe the dust off them 30+ levels after becoming available. 

Someone's favorite too:

Sorongo uses [Blind Ray]
Wilrynn takes 2 magic damage
Wilrynn is afflicted by eye burn
Modulation Crystal takes effect, Sourmilk's armor raises to 148
Sourmilk's melee attacks are increased by up to 2940
Sourmilk's magic attacks are increased by up to 2940
The Modulation Crystal loses its glow