Author Topic: [PvP] Spirit decks under the microscope  (Read 4657 times)

Quazee

• Faithful
Re: [PvP] Spirit decks under the microscope
« Reply #15 on: 10:09:09 - 07/01/12 »
After letting the time pass and the ideas decant, I'd like to make a couple of specific comments regarding a part of Toben's review.

P5 - Counters - As to your point one: Yup, Lobotomize is good. I wouldn't mind seeing more anti-shortdeck options, and if they had the side benefit of making life harder with Kiaidonks that's okay with me too. Agreed.
As to point two: Pure counters against one specific strategy that don't do anything else don't get used, period, doesn't matter how good they are. It's not that Crown of Prestige is terrible, it's that it's a dead draw against non-spirit decks. A New and Improved CoP that is still a dead draw against non-spirit, still won't get used. Plus, as I mention in one of my posts that you linked to, the issue with single charms that are supposed to hard-counter spirit is that they have a good chance of never getting drawn. The key to consistent success in countering spirit is not a few charms with "ZOMG SPIRIT AUTO-LOSES", it's a little bit of willpower (or spirit immunity! spirit immunity is awesome!) on every single charm in your deck. The thing folks need, IMO, is a few relatively ordinary melee or magic type charms that give, say, 1 or 2 cumul willpower to all allies, right around level 47.
(...)
Now a quick look at your proposed sketch charms:
(...)
IV: See my earlier points about why nobody uses Crown of Prestige. Nobody will run this charm, and even if they did it wouldn't help them very much.

1. First of all, let's check if we (dis)agree on one fundamental concept. Is ignoring altogether the dedicated counters a good thing, in vacuo ? Personally, I heavily disagree with that. The fact that spirit decks are more less coerced into using Lightning Arc or FotE or BH (all being absolutely useless/counterproductive if we look only at the spirit damage output) doesn't bother me at all.
2. If a hypothetical (dedicated) purge against spirit decks isn't quite enough (although, to me it would definitely be the "improved CoP" that Toben mentioned), is there anything that would be ? Toben says, resoundingly, "no". Any other takes/ideas on this issue ?
3. I fully support Toben's "the thing folks need, IMO, is a few relatively ordinary melee or magic type charms that give, say, 1 or 2 cumul willpower to all allies, right around level 47" statement. However, I personally loathe the idea of another Fervor's Flames. There are enough bane reducers on the table already.
4. Addressing the same "problem" as the preceding point, we may want to kick the spirit decks where it hurts most. How about a multiplayer combo which would grant spirit immunity (for N direct attacks; to be decided) to the ally with lowest spirit ?

Medefe

• Faithful
Re: [PvP] Spirit decks under the microscope
« Reply #16 on: 15:48:59 - 07/01/12 »
I like the suggestions in points 3 and 4.