Author Topic: Estiah 2  (Read 11660 times)

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Estiah 2
« on: 16:06:28 - 01/19/12 »
Hello everyone,

Happy new year!
I know it'w been a long time since you've heard from us, and since there's been any update on Estiah 2 beta.
I guess the question you all have is "Are you going to stop working on Estiah 2?". The simple answer is no, we have not taken this kind of decision yet. What's happening is that we're at a point where we are at some kind of technical dead end. As you may know, the support and promotion of Silverlight by Microsoft is going down much faster than expected, so we need to decide if we want to follow that track anyway, or start over almost everything with a different technology.
We've been trying a lot of things on our side already, but you might not be able to see any change on your side for some time still.

But we do hope we'll eventually be able to go on with the game, and that some of you will still be around to help us test and finalize the game once we're ready again to move onward.

Also, we're sorry for not putting up any event for christmas / NYE, but both of us went for a very long trip by the end of 2011, and we couldn't make anything.
I'll try to come up with something interesting in the following weeks to try and make up for it :)

« Last Edit: 16:08:20 - 01/19/12 by Lezard »

Torq

• Adventurer
Re: Estiah 2
« Reply #1 on: 13:19:04 - 01/21/12 »
I'm glad to hear that.  :)

Best of lucks in 2012 and remember that if you need anything we're willing to help!

Jmackxiii

• The BanAxe
  • High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 15:17:45 - 01/21/12 »
100% here for you guys if you need anything.
In the forums, MODDING your topicz

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #3 on: 16:03:54 - 01/21/12 »
Cool to hear from you!
100% here for you guys if you need anything.
And this, of course.
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Srdja

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 23:24:47 - 01/21/12 »
Really great hearing from you! :) As the others have already said, we're always happy to help.

Larcent

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #5 on: 04:50:43 - 01/26/12 »
Yup, I'm still around. I'm not very active in Estiah itself, but I'm still checking in.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #6 on: 14:11:15 - 02/06/12 »
unfortunately i don't think we'll go any further with silverlight, so this means full game UI rewrite.
the work is already under way but as you understand it takes quite a lot of time. not all our work
will go wasted though.

the new UI will be written in javascript, we'll add some html5 features too. it won't have as much
animation as the current silverlight UI but at least it'll be better supported by different devices.

we won't have anything to show for a while i think, but we'll probably need you guys for some
testing :) the connection issue remained the most annoying problem of silverlight and that's
basically what made us to give it up. we'll probably test this first as we rewrite the UI.

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #7 on: 19:30:48 - 02/06/12 »
unfortunately i don't think we'll go any further with silverlight, so this means full game UI rewrite.
the work is already under way but as you understand it takes quite a lot of time. not all our work
will go wasted though.

the new UI will be written in javascript, we'll add some html5 features too. it won't have as much
animation as the current silverlight UI but at least it'll be better supported by different devices.

we won't have anything to show for a while i think, but we'll probably need you guys for some
testing :) the connection issue remained the most annoying problem of silverlight and that's
basically what made us to give it up. we'll probably test this first as we rewrite the UI.
Even though this does mean it'll take more time, I'm actually happy with the decision of dropping Silverlight. Take your time guys, you can always summon me whenever you need me. :)
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Sheira

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 20:08:01 - 02/06/12 »
While this rewrite is probably for the best, it is sad to see the game being pushed back even further. Have you thought about making the UI component of the game an open source project once the basics are there? Or another form which would help you concentrate more on the server backend and other important things? For Estiah you are already letting user design content, so it might be a good idea to get some more help. There are probably some users who would be quite willing to help you out. I think anything that lets you concentrate more on the most important things is a good step.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 10:19:28 - 02/09/12 »
after the incident where some chinese company has made an estiah clone with all our css/js/html, there's no way we'll open-source
anything. we're using google closure library in estiah2 so js will be minified and compiled, i hope they won't be able to steal from us
again.

sheira, since you've done a great work for e1, it's not that we don't trust you, it's just not easy to open up our development servers.
plugins are still the best solution i think.

Sheira

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #10 on: 15:13:29 - 02/09/12 »
I'm just hoping that the project will not die and see a swift release and I am trying to think of ways to further that goal. I'm not sure exactly, but from what I understand from js minifying, a 1:1 copy is still possible, just making changes to the minified code is hard. Also your server backend is always inaccessible and will probably play an even more important role with live fights.
« Last Edit: 15:37:33 - 02/09/12 by Sheira »

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #11 on: 18:48:15 - 02/09/12 »
minified js doesn't stop them from doing exact copy but it's pratically impossible to alter.
you just have to look at any google sites to understand how hard it is to copy/paste.
all variables are renamed and many functions are inlined, thus the compiled source is
not exactly what we wrote.

i know everyone is eager to see the game go live, but it's no use to release a game that
doesn't work. (or not for everyone)

Gabbin

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #12 on: 17:18:50 - 02/10/12 »
Poor Silverlight  :(

Just let us know when and where we can help  :)
Everythings easier in pseudocode!

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #13 on: 08:12:02 - 02/21/12 »
As I was just saying in IRC.  I played basically 0 non-sports/guitar games during my active tenure in Estiah 1 these past few years.  A testament to the quality of the first game despite any flaws it might have.

A small mercy for this old man that E2 will be delayed.  I owned almost 70 pc games I'd never or barely played a few months ago.  Granted I haven't put THAT big a dent in them (playing Morrowind now and that is quite a time consuming venture), but Gabbin has hassled me to a much lesser degree that I haven't played this or that game now that I'm actually playing SOMETHING other than Estiah.

But I'm still always here for you guys when and if you need me.

Gabbin

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #14 on: 08:45:32 - 02/21/12 »
The man hasn't even finished KotOR  :(
Everythings easier in pseudocode!