Author Topic: Charm mechanics and the new system  (Read 1425 times)

Larcent

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
Charm mechanics and the new system
« on: 04:24:14 - 08/24/11 »
Sooooooo ...

I want to raise a bit of a warning flag based on some early experiences and really just looking at what is currently on the charm descriptions.

In this new system you are adding a huge amount of strategy to the gameplay. It adds complexity to the system that did not exist in Estiah 1. In Estiah 1, the only way to add complexity to the system is to add new mechanics to the charms themselves. Even within this limited system, some of the end game charms are extremely complicated to the point where you can't always even tell what a charm really does just from reading it.

Now in this new system, it appears that you have added all the old charm mechanics over and even added new ones (the armor buff aura on one of the spear charms comes to mind). I am not sure what sort of gatekeeping you will be doing for charm access, but you might want to consider whether certain complicated mechanics like modifier stealing and such might be a bit too much to be implementing right from the start.

You are adding strategies like positioning, timing, resource management, and charm linking. I think with all of that new stuff, it is vital that the charms themselves to be easy to understand.

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: Charm mechanics and the new system
« Reply #1 on: 08:33:22 - 08/24/11 »
There will be a complexity curve for charms in E1 story, that's for sure. I will probably also rearrange some of the charms in extensions to make the initial ones very simple.

However, for the beta, I decided on purpose to add the most complex effects possible, to test them out and balance them. that's also a reason why only very experienced players have been invited to the beta so far :)

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 10:50:36 - 08/24/11 »
in final release, new players will have access to pvp only after completing the pve tutorial.
that would teach him a few basic things.

Larcent

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 15:40:20 - 08/24/11 »
Ok, that all makes sense. I figured there would be a ramp up in charm complexity.

I may make some suggestions in mechanic wording after I've had some time to play some more. There is some awkwardness with charms that affect both you and your enemy that make it difficult grasp what the charm does. Do you have more flexibility in the order in which actions are listed on the charm?