Author Topic: Focusing a Protector  (Read 2401 times)

Streetsweeperarias

• Newcomer
Focusing a Protector
« on: 01:42:32 - 07/14/11 »
If a player does
Protect:10
and then the opponent does
Focus:1
on him does the Focus set the Protect to 0?

After the 1 turn of Focus will he have 9 turns of Protect?

Reverse:

If a player gets hit with
Focus:10
and then he does
Protect:1
does the Protect set the Focus to 0?

After the 1 turn of Protect will he have 9 turns of Focus?

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
Re: Focusing a Protector
« Reply #1 on: 02:13:12 - 07/14/11 »
Protect and focus are the same as armor or ward.

You have 60 ward, you play a charm doing 50 ward, you're still at 60 ward, not 50. You play a charm doing 70 Ward, you'll ve at 70 Ward. Nothing's reset. Also, like with Armor/Ward or Willpower, there are charms doing Protect (cumul.) or Focus (cumul.) in which case they add to the current value. In the case of someone being focused or protecting, no difference is made about whether he's focused or he used a protect charm. So if he protects for 9 and then someone plays a charm doing 4 Focus (cumul.) the protecting guy will have 13 turns of protect on him.
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Kandiru

• Faithful
« Reply #2 on: 18:40:25 - 07/14/11 »
However, if someone ELSE in your team is focused with say, 20 focus, and you do a Protect:4, you are now focussed(4) rather than focussed(20), right?

Streetsweeperarias

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: 18:47:08 - 07/14/11 »
Yes I think so, changing to a new player will wipe out the old focus/protect.

New question: Is this right?
"Break Protection" works on the opponent team and makes it so no one is protecting or focused.

"Break Focus" works on your team and makes it so no one is protecting or focused.

Shalq

• Faithful
« Reply #4 on: 20:04:51 - 07/14/11 »
However, if someone ELSE in your team is focused with say, 20 focus, and you do a Protect:4, you are now focussed(4) rather than focussed(20), right?
If a new target is being focused or plays a protect charm, all of the accumulated focus/protect on his ally is lost.
Btw, if your last ally dies while you're protecting, you'll still be 'marked' as "being focused/protecting" until it runs out or vanish/break focus is played. Any further focus or protect played in this situation will not increase its duration (even cumulative ones, but you can ofc restore someone from your team). So you can still get conditional effects without any ally alive, for example from Jade(...) stuff.

Yes I think so, changing to a new player will wipe out the old focus/protect.

New question: Is this right?
"Break Protection" works on the opponent team and makes it so no one is protecting or focused.

"Break Focus" works on your team and makes it so no one is protecting or focused.
Vanish = you break focus/protect on yourself (assassin's Flash Bomb 'puts' vanish on every ally)
Break Focus = you break focus/protect on the enemy team (Impact, pyro crest, Burst of Rage, P.Fog etc), in other words: breaks your team's focus / enemy's team protect.

I stopped doing shudders some time ago, so I'm not sure, but Kephathid's [Thousand Tentacles] does vanish instead of break focus (or does it do both? Oo).

Misha

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #5 on: 20:32:43 - 07/14/11 »

This is correct.  However I will note that if you do a Protect 4 (cumul) instead of Protect 4, you will be focused for 24 turns.

Kandiru

• Faithful
« Reply #6 on: 14:14:44 - 07/15/11 »
The tentacles don't do a break focus, its just they all exhaust before being revived, and so you normally run out of focus on the squid before they come back to life, as its the only enemy up for a couple of turns = 8 actions each cycle. I tried using Will'o'wisp there once, but its essentially useless.