Author Topic: Brand new player looking for a few tips  (Read 1971 times)

Ullapool

• Newcomer
Brand new player looking for a few tips
« on: 20:07:01 - 03/03/11 »
Hi all!

I just came across this game, linked from the BoardGameGeek, about 5 days ago.

Before I start, I've been to the wiki, read the localized tutorial (which answered many of my questions), and of course done the little built-in tutorial.

I have 3 characters now (which appears to be legal) - each focusing on a different set of primary stats so that I can explore the differences as time goes on.

I have a few questions I was hoping some vets could help me answer:

1: I seem to run out of things to do VERY quickly each day.  Basically all 3 of my characters are level 4-5 and I login each day and do the Sewers dungeon (through to the end).  One of them is strong enough to do the Pirate one as well - the first two in the starting city.  I do my job every day and then I don't know what else to do.  I usually dump the rest of my action points into the arena for little tiny skillups.  My point is - there appears to be a lot of depth way off in this game but I don't appear to be able to invest my time now to get there.  It's a tiny bit frustrating "this game looks cool, I want to play it, look at those cool charms, look at that cool class . . . alas, at this rate it looks like I won't be able to sniff that for several weeks and until then all I'll be doing is running this sewer every day".  I suspect I'm misunderstanding something, but the tutorials don't really suggest what should a new player do every day, how should they spent their action points other than job/dungeon . . . is that really it?  Before you think I'm merely saying "I want to be high level immediately, without any work" what I'm really trying to say is I don't see what there is to do other than login daily and do the same few quick things.  Shouldn't I want to stay on the site longer?

2: Sometimes I'll win charms that don't appear in my list of charms.  Is that because I don't have the stats to use them yet?  Shouldn't they appear somewhere and be grayed out or something indicating I need to skill up some?  Will these charms re-appear once I gain the requisite skills?

I hope to learn more about the game from your responses and keep playing.  I've gotten a few of my friends to join as well and all of them have said the same thing "Wow this looks cool, wait... now what do I do" (after doing their daily) and my response appears to be "come back again tomorrow".

And finally, if folks have other tips (I've read lots on the forum, so probably don't need to just link me to those posts) I'd love to hear more.

Thanks!

Zenetar

• Bunny Cultist
Re: Brand new player looking for a few tips
« Reply #1 on: 20:52:18 - 03/03/11 »
1:this is called grinding

at early levels you have very few challenging/interesting things. The best purpose is to master every HP or spirit skill possible.

More stuff will appear later. Harder dungeons, various PvP/coliseum strategies, teams with other players to beat a group dungeon or to participate in coliseum.

2: Yes, you don't have the stats.
These charms will appear in your charm collection

Check View your charms in your Character menu.

Once you have met the requirements for the charm, it will appear in your gear menu, where you can edit your gears.

« Last Edit: 20:53:51 - 03/03/11 by Zenetar »

Qqchampion

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: Brand new player looking for a few tips
« Reply #2 on: 20:57:43 - 03/03/11 »
Hi all!

I just came across this game, linked from the BoardGameGeek, about 5 days ago.

Before I start, I've been to the wiki, read the localized tutorial (which answered many of my questions), and of course done the little built-in tutorial.

I have 3 characters now (which appears to be legal) - each focusing on a different set of primary stats so that I can explore the differences as time goes on.

I have a few questions I was hoping some vets could help me answer:

1: I seem to run out of things to do VERY quickly each day.  Basically all 3 of my characters are level 4-5 and I login each day and do the Sewers dungeon (through to the end).  One of them is strong enough to do the Pirate one as well - the first two in the starting city.  I do my job every day and then I don't know what else to do.  I usually dump the rest of my action points into the arena for little tiny skillups.  My point is - there appears to be a lot of depth way off in this game but I don't appear to be able to invest my time now to get there.  It's a tiny bit frustrating "this game looks cool, I want to play it, look at those cool charms, look at that cool class . . . alas, at this rate it looks like I won't be able to sniff that for several weeks and until then all I'll be doing is running this sewer every day".  I suspect I'm misunderstanding something, but the tutorials don't really suggest what should a new player do every day, how should they spent their action points other than job/dungeon . . . is that really it?  Before you think I'm merely saying "I want to be high level immediately, without any work" what I'm really trying to say is I don't see what there is to do other than login daily and do the same few quick things.  Shouldn't I want to stay on the site longer?

It does take a little bit to really open up a lot of the content. You're able to move by this point, of course, so you can run the dungeons in eversweep or aleas for a change of pace. Open PvP is also available in those cities, so you can test your gear-building skills against other players around your level. You could also spend ap gathering, which isn't particularly exciting on its own but does open up some skills and also will open some event sites, which include some fights and some shops that let you craft new charms.

2: Sometimes I'll win charms that don't appear in my list of charms.  Is that because I don't have the stats to use them yet?  Shouldn't they appear somewhere and be grayed out or something indicating I need to skill up some?  Will these charms re-appear once I gain the requisite skills?

Under your character name you can find 'view your charms' which shows everything you've collected by rune (unusable charms are displayed in gray). They'll show up in your gear builder once you have the right stats or skills.
[21:39] <Morthalius> I'm going to be farming crystalite sprouts till lil baby jesus is back in diapers as decrepit geriatric jesus :(