Author Topic: Mt. Olympus Forum Game (Play to win PFs!)  (Read 44124 times)

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
Mt. Olympus Forum Game (Play to win PFs!)
« on: 01:49:05 - 06/07/10 »
UPDATE:  All player actions should be sent to me in PM. I will play them out in subsequent posts on the forum.  This is done since some things remain secretive.  If you find you have an ally in play and your "engagement outcomes" allow for certain things like trading skills or other strategic maneuvers, you may PM them, so long as any final decisions are relayed to me.

AND ANOTHER UPDATE:  Since the question is bound to come up.  If you are an unrevealed God and one of your allies is revealed and in the flow of play, there is no rule stating you cannot contact them to reveal your identity.  And if there was, I wouldn't be able to enforce it.  Is it sporting? That's up for debate.  But as I see it, it's something akin to going out and finding one of your buddies to bring to a fight.  Just know that all gods will eventually get revealed during the first rounds, and spending your turn engaging an ally isn't always necessarily the most efficient use of your turn.

NOTE:  This is largely experimental.  The last place I did this was in a different format, and potential prizes were much more numerous.  We'll see how it goes.

So I was rooting around some of my old files and I found a game I created and used to host in the Kingdom of Loathing chatroom long, long ago.

Bit of nostalgia convinced me it might be fun to run a game of it here on the forum.  In KOL I could run the thing constantly because I was disgustingly rich and could give away millions in meat and prizes.  Here I can only offer PFs so prolly won't be a regular thing.   I can't say exactly what the prize will be, since the game can be won by 1 player or a number of allied players.  Let's say between 10-20.  Winners will get enough to at least be able to purchase something ;p

Still!  It might be fun.  The game was infamous for confusing the crap out of people with its convolutions, but eh...that's sort of my forte (see: upcoming patch >.>)

So here's how it works...

Mt. Olympus!

In this game you play at being the bickering gods of Mt. Olympus, constantly levying their power and influence against one another in shows of superiority.  To join the game, forum pm me with the 3 gods on the list below you'd like to be most.  If no one else has yet requested one of your gods, that is who you will get.  If you are unfortunate or late in joining and your 3 choices are spoken for, you will be randomly assigned a remaining deity.

When you are assigned your god, you will be sent their "player card" listing the various interactions they can have with the other gods.

Each god starts with five points of Status and three points of Influence.  When a player is reduced to 0 Status, they are eliminated.  When a player uses a special ability during the Influence phase they lose an Influence point.  Some Influences can be used out of turn.

All players start with their choice in god unrevealed.  I will randomly determine play order.  

On your turn, you will choose another player/god to engage.  Your god and the god of the player you engage in are revealed, if they have not been revealed,  and events occur depending on the abilities of the gods in question.  

Zeus: Zeus, chief among gods, is a wholly neutral party and has weaknesses and strengths against all of his fellows.  When he engages or is engaged, a 1d2 is rolled.  With a 1, Zeus' gets to act upon the other god.  With a 2, the other god may act upon Zeus.

When all gods remaining are neutral to one another, they must pm me who they wish to ally or rival.  Choose wisely, because a claim of rivalry from one player trumps a claim of alliance (i.e.: doublecross).  Newly bred Rival engagement outcomes will be random.  When only allies remain, the prize is split between them.

Remember, Mt. Olympus is not necessarily a game of aggression.  This is not warring gods per se.  This is a game of power, influence, and politics.  Your power over "rivals" may merely come from the charms you have over them.  You may want allies in your struggles for supremacy in matters of godly import.

You may choose from the following gods:
Aphrodite
Apollo
Ares
Artemis
Athena
Demeter
Hades
Hephaestus
Hera
Hermes
Hestia
Poseidon
Zeus

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS:

1) All players begin with their gods unrevealed.  During each engagement phase, 1 random god is revealed and all revealed gods get to act.  That player may engage with an unrevealed player or with a revealed god, whichever they choose.

2) When you eliminate a player, you get to see their list of Engagement Outcomes and choose one for yourself.  This will not be announced to the other players until necessary.

3) Influence abilities may only be used once your god has been revealed.

4) Please opt out of participation if you do not regularly read the forums.  When it is your turn, for every 24 hours that passes without an action on your part, you will lose a 1 Status.

===== Players ======= Deity ===== Status Pts. == Influence Pts. ===== Special Notes =====
          Toben          |       Hephaestus      |        4       |           1           | +1 in future struggles
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Greatcatatonic    |            Hera           |        0       |           2           |  Now neutral to Hermes/Hades/Athena, shared outcome with Demeter/Ares, No effect on Hestia,  |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Bazabaza       |          Athena         |        4       |           3           |   +1 in all struggles, protected from next status loss  |
          Misha          |        Aphrodite        |        3       |           3           |           |
          Sparky         |         Artemis          |        5       |           2           |   +2 in all struggles, 2 shared outcomes with Ares, will prevent Athena's next loss of status   |
         Kyruko         |         Hermes         |        0       |          3          |   +1 in all struggles, Shared outcome with Demeter  |
       Mario 766       |         Hades           |        0       |           1           |  +2 to future struggles ??Engagement outcome removed?? Now Neutral to Hera  |
        Dreizen         |        Poseidon        |        4       |           2           |                                           |
     Qqchampion     |           Hestia          |        5       |           2           |   Demeter/Hera/Poseidon have no effect,   |
        Dollstate        |         Zeus          |        3       |           1           |    +1 in all struggles, next struggle that would eliminate prevented     |
  Courpsemourne   |           Ares           |        3       |           2           |   -0 to all struggles, prevents next struggle that would eliminate zeus, retaliates against Zeus eliminator, 2 shared outcomes with Artemis  |
          Fenrir          |         Demeter        |        8       |           0           |   No effect on Hestia,??2 Stolen engagement outcomes??, shared outcome with Hera/Ares/Hermes, now Neutral to Hephaestus   |
          Azharh          |          Apollo         |        3       |           0           |   Brotherly Auto-Eliminate, Next loss of status is prevented   |

For a quick-reference to the gods' abilities, click the following link.  You probably won't understand jack about it at first.  Gonna have to just go with the flow!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AqRGKynhjhUhdGg1OHR3TUNveGJoWUF4bnNxR3M3RUE&hl=en
« Last Edit: 06:11:20 - 09/04/10 by Merton »

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
Re: Mt. Olympus Forum Game (Play to win PFs!)
« Reply #1 on: 01:49:35 - 06/07/10 »
Remember to PM your wish to join and the selection of gods you'd prefer.

Thatguy

• Faithful
« Reply #2 on: 01:53:58 - 06/07/10 »
I got this.
My chars, cave story style: Quote - Balrog - Misery - Curly - Ballos - King - The Doctor

Mario766

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: 03:27:19 - 06/07/10 »
I'm in.  :)

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #4 on: 03:39:05 - 06/07/10 »
Hehehe, secrecy, plans, spying and backstabbing... I can't reveal that I'm in.
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #5 on: 03:41:56 - 06/07/10 »
6 out of 13 Players in so far.

Also a warning I already posted in IRC:

Beware..the game is very unpredictable.  Due to the frenetic nature of the game, particularly early on when gods are unrevealed, you may tangle with the wrong guy and get knocked out pronto, or you could get caught in a game that lasts many rounds.  i never knew what would happen when i ran it on KOL

Also, if it's a success, I'll gladly take suggestions on how to improve it.  I ran it many times on KOL, but because the "Games" room was often absurdly fast-paced/ADD and I was one of the primary Game Hosts, I never got much feedback.

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #6 on: 06:29:16 - 06/07/10 »
One slot left.  First come first serve!

Registration Closed!  We'll get this started on the morrow.
« Last Edit: 06:30:52 - 06/07/10 by Merton »

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #7 on: 00:09:09 - 06/08/10 »
Whew...took awhile, but all player cards are sent out.

The 13 players are listed now in the OP.  That table will be where all info is tracked.

If you have any pressing questions, send them to me, but in general, it's best to just get a feel for things in the first couple rounds (barring any lightning eliminations).

Toben has the first turn of the game.  His God and the God of the player he chooses to engage will be revealed as soon as he gets back to me.

Good luck to all.  Hope you have some fun.

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #8 on: 00:11:34 - 06/08/10 »
Read New Note in OP.

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #9 on: 00:29:50 - 06/08/10 »
And one new update up top as well since I thought of it.

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #10 on: 01:50:29 - 06/08/10 »
To clarify the way rounds and turns work since 3 people have asked:

Round 1: Toben is revealed.  Toben takes a turn.  End of round.
Round 2: If Toben didn't engage him already, Greatcatatonic is revealed.  Great takes a turn.  Toben takes a turn.  Whoever Toben revealed takes a turn.  End of round. (if Toben revealed Great, then I would be reveled Bazabaza instead).
Round 3: If he has not already been revealed, I reveal Bazabaza.  Bazabaza takes a turn.  Toben takes a turn. Great takes a turn, and whoever else has been revealed takes a turn.  End of round.

And so on and so on.

And yes.  You can choose to abstain from an action on your turn if you so choose.

Mario766

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: 02:09:09 - 06/08/10 »

Round 2: If Toben didn't engage him already, Greatcatatonic is revealed.  Great takes a turn.  Toben takes a turn.  Whoever Toben revealed takes a turn.  End of round. (if Toben revealed Great, then I would be reveled Bazabaza instead).
Round 3: If he has not already been revealed, I reveal Bazabaza.  Bazabaza takes a turn.  Toben takes a turn. Great takes a turn, and whoever else has been revealed takes a turn.  End of round.

And so on and so on.

And yes.  You can choose to abstain from an action on your turn if you so choose.
So people far down on the list won't get a turn for a while then?

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #12 on: 02:17:25 - 06/08/10 »

And so on and so on.

So people far down on the list won't get a turn for a while then?

All depends on who your fellow players decide to toy with.  I have gotten Toben's first turn.  Will update shortly.  For now...I've got work to do  :P

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #13 on: 05:14:00 - 06/08/10 »
It's another typical day on Olympus.  The sun is shining.  Down below the mortals are squabbling over which of their national heroes would best be depicted by Brad Pitt in the distant future.

From the forge of Hephaestus (Toben) we hear the steady clang of a godly blacksmith's hammer.  

Suddenly, the sound of the ringing hammer is replaced by raised voices.  We enter and find the Lame God and his aunt Demeter (Fenrir) arguing.  Demeter commands her nephew to forge a weapon that a mortal could wield to destroy her hated brother's chariot and keep him from taking away her daughter Persephone every winter.  Hephaestus refuses, having nothing against his uncle and wishing to avoid such familial conflicts.

Demeter will have none of it and in  fit of rage insults the god's shortcomings in the marriage bed his wife Aphrodite frequently avoids sharing with him.

Normally even-tempered, Hephaestus sees red and shoves his aunt through the door of his forge and stands above her splayed form menacingly, a stream of curses flowing from him.

Their fellow Olympians look on at Demeter's humiliation and become interested...

Summary:

-Hephaestus (Toben) revealed
-Demeter (Fenrir) revealed
-Demeter loses 1 status point.

Round 1 Ends.

Round 2 Begins.  Greatcatatonic, please PM me with the Revealed God or Unrevealed Player you would like to engage.

Merton

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
    • MST3k Journal
« Reply #14 on: 05:17:56 - 06/08/10 »
Table will be updated after each player's turn.