Author Topic: Ironman Speed Challenge [Discussion Thread]  (Read 32160 times)

Starwarskid

• Faithful
Re: Ironman Speed Challenge [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #15 on: 05:53:16 - 02/20/10 »
make it even harder, you can only do 4-man dungeons, statues, and unity with other gimped warriors :)

I don't know. It would be ideal, but as everyone plays at a different pace, I think it would be too hard to make an all ironman/gimp group for multiplayer events. As it is, it should already be additional challenge carrying 1 person who is essentially dead weight for the group. The statues in particular are already challenging for 3 competent players.

EDIT: you can of course, apply additional restrictions such as the one you mentioned. After all, the characters you cleared the dungeons with should be noted by the dungeon clear record. An additional note that these other characters were under ironman rules (and possibly a replay!) would be great.
« Last Edit: 06:33:57 - 02/20/10 by Starwarskid »

Matto

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #16 on: 10:15:21 - 02/20/10 »
if i had the time (and patience) to raise 3-4 gimps on my own, I might have tried that, but i would go crazy, i think, trying to get that accomplished

on the 4-man dungeon front, i could carry anyone using the right characters, hell if they allowed any lvl to join, i could carry my gimp at lvl 1, i've run some semi-public fights in yax and echo recently with some real mental gimps taking up the 3rd and 4th spot, and still easily won, shudder isn't too hard either, even fury, i ran that with some friends for the achievements and we had 1 player deal practically all the damage, using a tank, and 2 big hitters with SINs, and the gimp floats through that fight

the statues on the other hand would be very difficult, just from my experience with them with 3 good players with finely tuned decks, its still not a walk in the park... well maybe the first one is, but the 2nd one is harder, and the 3rd one is kind a nuts with a bad rng, so yeah, the gimp would definitely be the weak link, those might have to wait till lvl 50

unity wouldn't be hard, especially with lvled players, not hard at all

i'm curious to see what the lowest lvl will be for each person's gimp to complete dungeons once we start hitting the higher lvls, the T1 and T2 class charms are gonna be very impactful in the 20s and 30s, maybe even later, as they might be the only decent charms our gimps ever have, lol

Forgetful

• Bunny Cultist
  • There is no straigth line
« Reply #17 on: 11:05:11 - 02/20/10 »
i already had thought "what's next?" and this might be fun. zero crafts is a pain.

i'd like a few more clarifications:
pets allowed?
coliseum allowed?
crafting Cozy-Hilt Blade and Rodent's Bane allowed?
clearing dungeons multiple times not allowed?
food and elixirs allowed?
« Last Edit: 12:17:20 - 02/20/10 by Forgetful »

Toben

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #18 on: 17:06:30 - 02/20/10 »
Is it actually mathematically possible to level heroism, only doing each dungeon once? Assuming you did every single dungeon 2 levels early (but you'll be so gimped that's gonna be hard...) are there actually enough dungeons in the game?

I considered signing up for this but I don't really have time right now. Plus, my next char if I ever get around to making one is going to be a warden or hierarch, and I'm plenty masochistic but not quite masochistic enough to try and play a gimped hierarch...

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz, trollin yer topixz
« Reply #19 on: 19:38:22 - 02/20/10 »
I considered signing up for this but I don't really have time right now. Plus, my next char if I ever get around to making one is going to be a warden or hierarch, and I'm plenty masochistic but not quite masochistic enough to try and play a gimped hierarch...

what? its pretty obvious that gimped char should be: scout>rogue>either warlord or dk
no other options.

well wizard>pyro is also an option, but... burst is nearly impossible, as fighter completely sacks
YGBSM
[20:31]   <Schutz|Work>   Lez trolls much better than wolfz! :p
We make server cry with Tears of Blood

Forgetful

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #20 on: 19:42:26 - 02/20/10 »
i thought this was a race, not some kind of ownage pwnage event. definitely gonna be a champion. at some point everyone will drop this event, i will become victorious and continue winning with my new best no-more-handicaps alt.

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #21 on: 19:56:16 - 02/20/10 »
i thought this was a race, not some kind of ownage pwnage event. definitely gonna be a champion. at some point everyone will drop this event, i will become victorious and continue winning with my new best no-more-handicaps alt.
with monk charms?
YGBSM

Starwarskid

• Faithful
« Reply #22 on: 20:09:52 - 02/20/10 »
i already had thought "what's next?" and this might be fun. zero crafts is a pain.

i'd like a few more clarifications:
pets allowed?
coliseum allowed?
crafting Cozy-Hilt Blade and Rodent's Bane allowed?
clearing dungeons multiple times not allowed?
food and elixirs allowed?

pets and coli are fine, but good luck winning coli.
cozy-hilt blade and rodent's bane are crafts, rather than trading in tokens, so not allowed.
clearing each dungeon once and only once a main point of this challenge! It is up to you how to handle messed-up, partial completions, though I provided a few options in the rules.
food and elixirs are allowed, although realistically the only place you would be getting these is the auction.

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #23 on: 20:14:19 - 02/20/10 »
food and elixirs are allowed, although realistically the only place you would be getting these is the auction.

also coli (irony) and pet races?
YGBSM

Forgetful

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #24 on: 20:35:51 - 02/20/10 »
a guide how to win a coli:
you will need one gimp and a twink. both go rogue. that gives you a pretty good chance at winning 2v2 and getting some extra hp. 3v3 would be even easier but you'd need two twinks.

anyway, this contest will be about reaching highest level, not about dungeons. let's face it, you can't clear dungeons without a special gear and the gimp won't have: focus, protect, aoe, ea, dot... all you will have is vendor and class charms. BUT! there's one more problem. gold. jobs will let you buy one charm a day, no more. this is truly an event for wasting time and effort on something very senseless. pure animal masters.

side quest:
become the first gimp to make a guild for all the gimps. they won't be useful anywhere else :) let's support each other.

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #25 on: 20:42:50 - 02/20/10 »
3. The goal is to clear all dungeons and reach level 50, though not necessarily in that order, in the fastest time possible.

edit: the more and more i think about it appears to be not the race of how fast you can get to lvl50 and beat all dungeons, but how far can you get with character gimped like that. AND THATS COOL!
« Last Edit: 21:00:14 - 02/20/10 by Wolfsoul »
YGBSM

Shalq

• Faithful
« Reply #26 on: 21:07:25 - 02/20/10 »
pets and coli are fine, but good luck winning coli.
cozy-hilt blade and rodent's bane are crafts, rather than trading in tokens, so not allowed.
clearing each dungeon once and only once a main point of this challenge! It is up to you how to handle messed-up, partial completions, though I provided a few options in the rules.
I'm very curious how will you, ironmen, pwn:
- ice princess @Frost Fortress almost without auras if you're not a novice, also almost without banes if you're not a scout/shaman (well, some T3 classes have good charm/s with aura, but I don't think someone will be crazy enough to - for example - choose recruit or later - hierarch)
- fight 2 @Bile Bone & Blood with crap amount of spirit & good spirit charms
- karya @A Cure without projection if you're not a sage/guard/warden/warlord
- whole Dark Tide ^^
- fight 2 @Prelex
- few dungeons where you need biiiig amount of protect

Also no gathering + no pvp = no extreme X skills, no cup of balance, no treasure hunter, no courage = FREAKING low HP pool Oo

Anyway, good luck to every participant!

Grayfaced

• Newcomer
« Reply #27 on: 21:31:05 - 02/20/10 »
I can understand you'll have to do dungeons out of order and rely on outleveling them.  But most of the Tier3 dungeons will just be impossible.  Very limited focus/protect for dungeons that require a lot of it.  Virtually no spirit, summons, banes, projections unless you pick a class in T2 for it and many of the dungeons require it.   How will you beat The Cure ft1 if you clear all other dungeons and still only have 4 banes? 

I don't understand the problem with crafting.  If you're limited to running dungeons once and no gathering, there's very limited crafting you can do.  Plus you've made rules against using some of the items you get in dungeons for crafting (no fury of the elements for example), others are marked gray area (hyphine? why).  I think easiest way to solve this is outlaw buying materials.  Let people craft whatever they want from what they find in dungeons.  Plus you should make a rule against using the auction house.

Most of the T3 classes require a skill that can't be obtained from vendor charms.  If you don't get enough charms of that type to skillup then you can't become that class.  So looking at potential pitfalls:
Summoning will be hard for Summ
Sap might be hard to get for Inq/DK/Summ
Spiritbreaker for DK/Inq
Sacrifice for DK
Burst could be rough for pyro
Trial of Ruse will make Assassin, Summr, Inq hard if they don't have enough banes/summons/projections.
Trial of Leadership will make champion and warlord rough with limited focus/protect
Trial of Domination requires spirit/will, could be rough for DK, inq

Limits T1/T2 class choices a lot to meet these requirements

Shalq

• Faithful
« Reply #28 on: 23:16:20 - 02/20/10 »
Yeah the crafting limitation is just too much in my opinion
No gathering + dungeons can be done only once + no pvp = you can obtain money only from jobs and arena (well, also from 2on2/3on3 coliseums, but... meh) so getting vendor charms is already a pain in ass, AND YET they haven't got any 'special' effects like bane/aura/protect/focus...

By the way... you can't become inq and assa, because no pvp = no cruelty... /edit; yeah I see now that the rules were changed, didn't check them once again before posting here

Getting spiritbreaker, iron will and sacrifice is almost impossible @lower lvls due to 'no crafts'
Getting points in summoning will be even harder Oo
« Last Edit: 00:22:41 - 02/21/10 by Shalq »

Forgetful

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #29 on: 23:32:18 - 02/20/10 »
the hard level part is fun.
shalq, cruelty is allowed. check the other topic for that.

i made a mistake when talking about gold. since we'd be pouring all our AP into arena, gold won't be an issue. once you give up on this challenge you will have a newborn high-level player with most skills but no charms. i don't believe reaching lvl 50 will be possible. it seems like forever getting my alt from 49 to 50. starting from zero is even scarier.

in the end, i'm still up for the challenge.