Estiah Forum

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ  (Read 16310 times)
Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:00:38 - 10/28/09)

The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ

Section 0 - References
1. Where can I look for help?
2. Where else can I look for help?
3. I need a lot of help.

Section I - Characters
1. Can characters be deleted?
2. But I've screwed up my character and really want to delete it!
3. Can I rename my character?
4. What's a good stat distribution?
5. How do I gain stats?
6. What does Character Growth mean?
7. Can I have more than one character?
8. How do I give gold/charms to my buddy/other character?

Section II - Pets
1. Where do I get pets?
2. How and why do I feed my pet?
3. What are pet stats?
4. What are pet runes?
5. How do boosters work in races?
6. How do runes work in pet fights?

Section III - Guilds

1. What are guilds for?
2. When can I join a guild?
3. How do I join a guild?
4. What's this War Banner and when should we build it?
5. Help I'm being sieged!

Section IV - Game Mechanics
1. What's an extra action?
2. What's an AoE?
3. What's a DoT?
4. What is exhaustion?
5. What are action points?
6. How do I sell things in the Auction House?
7. How do I get from city A to city B?

Section V - How is Damage Calculated?
1. What is shifting damage / shifting defense?
2. What are damage modifiers?
3. How do damage modifiers affect specific mechanics?
4. What does (% P) mean?

Section VI - Player vs. Player
1. What is Player vs. Player (PvP)?
2. What is the Coliseum?
3. What are all these Soul Dust good for?

Section VII - Items

1. What do the different item colors mean?

Section VIII - Charms
1. What are small weapon / large weapon / vita / kata / support / defensive runes?

Section IX - Common Bugs
1. I didn't get any action points.

====================================================

Section 0 - References

1. Where can I look for help?

The Official Official FAQ is a good place to start.  It's here.  The Game Tips thread also has nice information.
     The in-game tutorial is a great start for players learning the interface and what you can do on each screen.  You can restart the tutorial at any time by clicking 'Account' in the upper right corner, and then on the green 'View Tutorials' box.  Tutorials on specific pages can be viewed at any time by clicking the white 'Tutorial[?]' link in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
     The Localized Tutorials section of these very forums has some very excellent posts that are sure to help you get started quickly.  They are here.
     The Beginner's Tips forums, found here, has a good selection of reference posts and is a good place to ask questions.
     The forums also has a Search feature that can quickly direct you to previous threads that might have answers to your questions.

2. Where else can I look for help?

The Class Discussion board, found here, contains posts on each of the end-game classes and specific strategies for each.  Reading them might give you ideas on where you want to take your character.
     The Unofficial Official Estiah Wiki, run and updated by the players, has a wealth of information on nearly everything in the game.  It can be found here.

3. I need a lot of help.
     Feel free to post on the forums.  There are lots of friendly posters that can generally get you a reply in a few hours.
     Try asking for help in the Official Unofficial irc chatroom.  On each of the City Pages (when logged in to your character, click the 'City xxxxx' link at the top of the page.  Under the city description to the right of the city picture there is a blue 'IRC Chat' button that will connect you, through your web-browser, to the irc channel.  Feel free to ask away in there.

Section I - Characters

1. Can characters be deleted?
     Characters can not be deleted or removed once they have been registered in the game.  After two weeks with no logins recorded, the character will go "inactive" and not be "seen" on the Players pages in the game, or in the city where it was last located.

2. But I've screwed up my character and really want to delete it!
     Characters aren't ever truly "screwed up."  You might have a name you don't particularly like, or a PvP record that you don't like, but these things are cosmetic.  If they really bother you, register another account and start over.  If you're worried that you've gained a skill (or didn't) or have "bad stat distribution," these things can be overcome, most with minimal effort.  Post or ask in irc about your specific problems for help.  It's virtually impossible to permanently mess a character up before it hits level 10.  By that time you should have an idea about how to fix it, or decide that you want a new character, or decide that you really don't like the game.

3. Can I rename my character?

Again this is not possible.  Relish your quirky misspellings!

4. What's a good stat distribution?

Around level 40, a common stat distribution recommendation is 35% / 30% in your "primary" stats (the stats you need to have raised to become a specific class), 25% in a tertiary stat of your choice, and the remaining 10% in your "dump" stat.

5. How do I gain stats?

Stats are gained through raising skill ranks, doing jobs, eating foods, and drinking elixers.

6. What does Character Growth mean?
     Character growth is the maximum amount of stat points that can be gained from doing jobs and eating non-special food (food that isn't elixers).  Stat points that are awarded for gaining ranks in skills (both battle, evolution, and trade skills) do not count towards your maximum growth.  Players have various strategies for managing their growth - some ignore it completely and work a job every day.  Some avoid jobs and focus their character leveling on ranking skills alone.

7. Can I have more than one character?

Multiple characters (often termed alts or alternate characters) are tolerated within the game-world.  The official stance of the developers is that they'd rather you have one well-played character rather than ten poorly played ones.  Additionally,  you are not allowed to mentor your characters to each other; that is, create a new character using another one of your own characters as its mentor or referring account.  The devs do not police IP addresses so there are no issues being in the same dorm / house as other players.  Please be honest.  It's generally viewed as poor manners to use your alts to attack each other and gain skillups from those encounters.  It's also generally viewed as poor manners to use your alts to "scout" the decks of other players and use that information to your advantage in further encounters.

8. How do I give gold/charms to my buddy/other character?

This is not possible.  You're on your own, cowboy.

Section II - Pets

1. Where do I get pets?
     Pets can be found in most dungeons and purchased in certain shops within cities.  Once you have a pet in your inventory, click on the 'Adopt a Pet' link under the 'Job xxxxx' or 'Jobless' menu on any page within the game.  You'll be presented with a box containing all animals in your inventory.

2. How and why do I feed my pet?
     Once you have a pet, the 'Adopt a Pet' link will be replaced with a 'Pet: xxxxx' link in the same menu location.  The resultant dialogue page will provide you with information regarding the pet.  To feed your pet, click the '[Feed]' button next to the 'This pet is hungry' message.  A box will pop-up with all of the items able to be eaten by your pet from your inventory.  Choose one!  If you don't have a valid item (eg metals; animals don't eat metal), then no item will appear.  Nearly any item you can find or buy can be eaten by your pet.  Feeding your pet improves its mood.  A pet with a poor attitude will perform poorly in fighting and racing.  If the mood gets low enough they may even run away!  Special Feral runes can gained only by feeding your pet certain foods.

3. What are pet stats?

Different foods will have different effects on your pet stats.  Pet stats influence the effect of Feral runes in pet fights, but do not affect pet racing.  Pet mood affects both.

4. What are pet runes?

Pet or feral runes can be bought in certain city shops, and can also be gained through feeding your pet certain very special foods.  

5. How do boosters work in races?
     This is a current mystery.  People have theories, but no one knows.

6. How do runes work in pet fights?

The current theory is that stats and a rock-paper-scissors mechanism may determine rune vs rune outcomes in pet fights.  Certain runes such as buff and debuff may influence this.

Section III - Guilds

1. What are guilds for?
     Guilds provide a place for players to socialize, ask for help, another avenue to acquire charms (through guild honor points and the showcase), and a few select 'guild only' charms.  Guilds also provide a good, not necessarily only, route to completing the high-end multiplayer dungeons.

2. When can I join a guild?
     You can join a guild as soon as you create one, or as soon as you get invited to one.  Most guilds don't recruit players below level 10 as they're not able to donate items before this level.

3. How do I join a guild?

Once you've been invited, a link will show up in your 'What's New?' feed on the right hand side box of your player page.

4. What's this War Banner and when should we build it?

The War Banner raises your guild's rating to 1500.  Doing so places you in range to attack (and be attacked) by many many more guilds.  It's not recommended to build before you know the implications of higher ratings - certainly not before you have a few players above level 30 that can defend well in guild battles and sieges.

5. Help I'm being sieged!

Once your guild acquires over 12 members, it will be eligible to be sieged by other guilds, war banner or not.  Don't worry; the worst you'll lose is a few building points and some ratings.  Lose enough rating points and other guilds will lose interest in sieging you as they'll gain fewer and fewer points from a siege.  Build a War Banner when you're ready, and your rating will instantly rise to 1500.

Section IV - Game Mechanics

1. What's an extra action?

An extra action is a charm that let's you immediately play another charm before ending your turn.  Certain effects (such as auras and summons) do no trigger on extra actions.  Other effects (banes) do trigger but do not lose duration.  Playing too many extra actions in a row leads to 'dizziness' immediately ending your turn.  Auras and summons do not trigger when you become dizzy.

2. What's an AoE?

AoE is short for Area of Effect - a term from real-time-strategy games that refers to attacks that affect an area or multiple targets.  In Estiah, AoE refers to charms that 'target all enemies' or 'target all allies'.

3. What's a DoT?

DoT is short for Damage over Time - a term from other MMO and FPS games that refers to damage that is not applied immediately, but is spaced out over several turns.

4. What is exhaustion?
     Exhaustion occurs when a player runs out of charms to play; to use a card-game metaphor - you've reached the bottom of your deck.  If you have failed to achieve victory conditions once the effects of your last charm and any other effects (such as auras and summons) have taken place, you will lose the encounter.

5. What are action points?
    Action points are used as the in-game currency for doing 'things.'  Encounters all cost different amounts of AP - dungeons require 15 AP per room, PvP requires at most 10, the arena 12, and so on.  Players are granted 20 AP every two hours.  AP accumulates if not spent.  Once a player has more than 360 AP accumulated, the rate of gain lowers from 20.  Once a player accumulates 1200 AP, no further AP is granted.  There is NO METHOD (including purchasing with money) to acquire any additional action points.  Increasing the rate of accumulation has been suggested many, many times.  Each time the devs have declined to change either AP gain or consumption rates.

6. How do I sell things in the Auction House?
     This is not possible.

7. How do I get from city A to city B?
     http://forum.estiah.com/index.php?topic=3988.0

Section V - How is Damage Calculated?

1. What is shifting damage / shifting defense?

Shifting damage and defense is applied to the 'maximum effect.'  Suppose you have 10 armor and 20 ward and play a charm that grants 50 shifting defense.  In this case, your armor would raise to 50 as you had lower armor than ward to start with.  If you had 60 armor and 50 ward, the charm would have no effect as both armor and ward were above 50 to begin with.  Charms that grant cumulative shifting defense work in the same way as other cumulative defense charms using the shifting mechanics.
     Shifting damage considers all of your damage modifiers and the defense levels of your opponent.  It calculates the overall net damage the charm would do using both the melee and magic route and then uses the one that provides the most net damage to your opponents hit points.  Shifting damage does not consider immunities.

2. What are damage modifiers?

There are two types of damage modifiers in Estiah - 'next' and 'ongoing'.  'next' damage modifiers apply to the next damage charm of the appropriate type; your 'next' pool will then be reset to zero.  If you have '+15 to next melee' from a previous charm, and play a charm that has a base value of 15 melee, the net effect of the charm will be 30 melee damage and you will have used all 'next melee' pool with no bonus applied to any further melee charms.  'next' damage modifiers will remain active until you play a damage charm.  For instance if you have '+22 to next magic', then play a ward, a summon, and then a charm that does 17 magic, the net damage to your opponent will be 39 magic and you will have used all 'next magic' pool with no bonus applied to any further magic charms.
     Ongoing modifiers are different.  This modifier is applied to EVERY charm of the appropriate type and is not reset to zero unless you are purged or 'debuffed' (effects that do -ongoing).  For instance if you have '+3 melee ongoing' and play charms that do 10 melee and then 12 melee, the net effects will be 13 melee and 15 melee, respectively.  

3. How do damage modifiers affect specific mechanics?

Extra actions receive 100% of 'next' modifiers and 20% of 'ongoing' modifiers.  'Drain' effects receive 65% of both 'next' and 'ongoing' modifiers.  AoE charms calculate damage using the following formula: B' = B / ( Number of targets * 0.75 ) where B is the total of your 'next' and 'ongoing' pools, and B' is the net damage modifier to be added to the base damage of the charm.  B'+base damage is then dealt to each target.

4. What does (% P) mean?

(% P) refers to the amount of damage from a charm penetrates through any defenses that an opponent may have.  For instance, if you have a charm that deals 50 magic (50% P) and your opponent has 50 ward, the net effect will be to reduce the opponents ward to zero (as you're dealing 50 damage), AND deal 25 magic damage to the players hitpoints (as 50% * 50 magic) has 'penetrated' to the opponent.  Supposing the same 50 magic (50% P) charm, but the opponent has 25 ward, the net effect will be to reduce the opponents ward to zero, and deal (50% * 25 magic) = 13 penetrating damage + 25 magic (the 25 that was not 'blocked' by the ward) = 38 magic damage to the opponents hit points.  Suppose again the opponent has 75 ward, the net effect will reduce the opponents ward to 25, and again deal 25 magic damage to the opponents hit points.  
     The penetration damage changes based on the total 'next' and 'ongoing' pools you may have active.  The formula for this is P' = P * ( 3 * Damage / ( 3 * Damage + boost ) ) where P is the base penetration on the charm, Damage is the base damage of the charm, boost is the total 'next' and 'ongoing' pool, and P' is the new penetration value for the charm to be applied to the total of base+next+ongoing pool damage.

« Last Edit: 15:56:15 - 02/06/10 by Slalderma » Logged

slalderma / slickal / rebelscum / sukelywalker / badmotivator
berzerker / pyro / hierarch / deathknight / warden
Slyguy: Shortdeck is the answer to everything.
Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#1 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:00:48 - 10/28/09)

Section VI - Player vs. Player

1. What is Player vs. Player (PvP)?

PvP combat is when two player-controlled characters fight each other.  PvP combat can be accessed from the 'Action xxx' menu.  When the page comes up you will be provided a list of characters you're elibigle to attack.  Specific skills (such as Courage) and rewards (such as Soul Dust) can only be gained by attacking other players.  Zeal, Inachis, and Lumina are "safe" cities where only players with Bounties can be attacked.  All other cities are "free-for-all" where any character can attack any other.     

2. What is the Coliseum?

The coliseum is a bracketed player vs player tournament held twice daily two hours before the dungeon reset.  Once a character is level 15, they can signup under the 'Coliseum' link in the 'Action xxx' menu.  Rewards for coliseum victories include increased current and maximum PvP rating, gold, items, and a title.

3. What are all these Soul Dust good for?

Successfully winning a PvP fight against an opponent the same level or higher than you will always provide a Soul Dust/Shard/Gem/Crystal depending on level.  These items can be exchanged in the 'safe' cities for charms.  The PvP craft charms are generally more powerful than equivalent level charms that can be bought from shops in the cities.  Winning a fight vs. a lower level opponent does not always provide a Dust/Shard/Gem/Crystal.  One level lower is about a 50% chance, two levels 33%, three levels 10%, and no rewards are gained for a victory over a player more than three levels below your own.

Section VII - Items

1. What do the different item colors mean?
gray : GENERALLY safe to sell.  Some (very specific) grey items are used for an exploration site questline.
green : Usable in at least one craft. Merchants in cities sell them, or obtainable via gathering
blue : drops only in dungeons
brown : tokens for pvp reward
red : usable item
purple : item of epic quality, generally for special purposes

animals : animals!
http://forum.estiah.com/index.php?topic=369.0

Section VIII - Charms

1. What are small weapon / large weapon / vita / kata / support / defensive runes?
Small weapons are fists, swords, and twinblades
Large weapons are axes, maces, and spears
Kata are fire, lightning, and shadow
Vita are earth, holy, and frost
Support are summons, buffs, debuffs, and technique
Defensive are armor, ward, and willpower
Spirit counts as none of these

Dual runes carry the properties of each of the individual runes.  A sword/shadow is both a small weapon and a kata.

Section IX - Common Bugs

1. I didn't get any action points.
There's a known issue that if you try and do something that costs AP right as the clock 'ticks' for your AP you won't get it.  Two things -- 1) try not to do that; 2) there's a "backup" calculator that will come along sometime later to add it back in if you got skipped.
« Last Edit: 15:56:34 - 02/06/10 by Slalderma » Logged

Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#2 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:00:59 - 10/28/09)

# reserved

Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#3 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:01:06 - 10/28/09)

# reserved

Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#4 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:01:13 - 10/28/09)

# reserved

Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#5 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:01:23 - 10/28/09)

# reserved

Alastair
Bunny Cultist

#6 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:06:46 - 10/28/09)

You can join a guild as soon as you create one, or as soon as you get invited to one.  Most guilds don't recruit players below level 10 as they're not able to [build or] donate items before this level.

You can build below level ten. Just can't donate. Might wanna take out the portion in brackets Smiley

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm a bastard sometimes, don't think I don't see that- Sage Francis
Bazabaza
Bunny Cultist

#7 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (18:30:26 - 10/28/09)

nice FAQ Smiley

but there are two typos Smiley

2. What's an AoE?
     AoE is short for Area of Attack
its Area of Effect Smiley

and you've got "Section VI - Player vs. Player" written twice - once in its proper place and once more above the line (at the end of section V)

Zadown
Wanderer

#8 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (19:25:04 - 10/28/09)

" 'Drain' effects receive 60% of both 'next' and 'ongoing' modifiers. "

Shouldn't it be 65%?
Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#9 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (21:01:56 - 10/28/09)

Fixed all 3.  Thanks.

Keyar
Bunny Cultist

#10 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (21:20:33 - 10/28/09)

Also, I'm pretty sure curses work as they should with EA's now. At least my hyperactivity ends when it should in WoL fight3(Before it would last the whole fight, making my Furious Revenges 'fully awesome' =P).

Official killer of threads.
Trollin your threads without even realizing it.

Keyar uses [Ice Spikes]
Astroblade takes 458 magic damage (274 warded, 3 pierced)
Astroblade takes 732 magic damage
Astroblade takes 732 magic damage

I love LotA fight 2...
Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#11 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (22:17:01 - 10/28/09)

yep.  fixed.

Manores
Bunny Cultist

#12 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (22:37:11 - 10/28/09)

Ha! COPY-CAT! You were just jealous of my guide to EVERYTHING!!!
Slalderma
Veteran

the Troubadour Warrior

#13 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (22:38:01 - 10/28/09)

Make sure to link this post in your thread!  kthxbye!

Manores
Bunny Cultist

#14 Re: The Official Unofficial Estiah Very Frequently Asked Questions FAQ (23:01:24 - 10/28/09)

Make sure to link this post in your thread!  kthxbye!

Added to my sig. Enjoy, mate!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Estiah Forum | Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines