Author Topic: IRC Tutorial  (Read 13429 times)

Element

• Wanderer
IRC Tutorial
« on: 18:44:48 - 07/06/09 »
This will be an in-depth client by client tutorial on connecting to the Estiah IRC channel. I will be showing how to connect using 5 differnt clients, X-Chat, Pidgin, Chatzilla,  Ice Chat, and LeafChat. If you have any others to add, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do about adding them :)

Estiah IRC join info:

Server: irc.quakenet.org
Room: #Estiah

First, I'll go through a list of common commands that are pretty much the same throughout all clients (if not all servers you'll be connecting to)

Code: [Select]
/nick ______ will change your nickname to whatever you put after /nick, ie. /nick Element would change my nickname to Element.

/me ______ is the Action command. When using /me, your message will generally (in most clients) appear indented and italicized. An example:  [09:45:32]***Element waves
/join ______ This command will bring you to a new room. You can have multiple rooms open at one time. If you try to join a room that does not exist, it will automatically be created.
/server ____ /server will  bring you to another server.

The first client I will show you is my personal favorite, X-Chat:

Site URL: http://www.silverex.org/download/

Upon opening xchat, you'll have 2 windows open. X-Chat itself, and in front of that the Network List, as shown below:

X-Chat has a long list of known networks pre-loaded into its network list, including the server on which Estiah hosts its IRC channel. This is the Quakenet server. Scroll down to Quakenet on the list, and click the Edit button. (I recommend also checking the box that says Skip network list on startup, to prevent the network list from showing up every time you start X-Chat) You will be brought to the below window:

Check the box that says Auto connect to this network at startup, and add #Estiah to your Favorite Channels list, so that you connect to the room directly upon connecting.

Once connected, on your right you'll see the Userlist and Userlist Buttons, as below. (xchat has a white background as default, but has a highly customizable color scheme, to change the GTK theme (theme of the window/application itself) go to Start-->GTK Theme selector and find one you like)

Anyone with a green dot next to their name is an Operator. They are the moderators of IRC. They can kick users, ban users, and set the channel modes. Userlist buttons are buttons that allow you to do commands at the click of a button, instead of typing them out. For example, if an operator pressed the Kick button, it would automatically do the command, /kick nick.

To change the coloration of your xchat window, go to Settings-->preferences-->Colors.

To change what is visible to YOU, you would edit local colors. These change things such as Action (/me) text colors, system message colors, part message colors and the like. The most straight forward are the Foreground and Background colors, Foreground being the normal chat text.

The next way to connect that I will show you is the Chatzilla add-on for Firefox.

Site URL: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

Chatzilla is a fairly basic chat client. To open, after installing simply type irc://irc.quakenet.org/#Estiah into your address bar, and the server/room will open in another window. NOTE: Closing firefox will disconnect you from the server. Once joined, right click on the room tab you should have on the bottom, and tick the box that says open this room at startup. Now every time you go to tools-->chatzilla, this room will open automatically. Chatzilla isn't very customizable, so this is about all you need to know about it.

Next in the lineup is a multi-platform client, Pidgin. Pidgin can connect to irc, msn, yahoo, aim, and alot more, all at the same time.

Site URL: www.pidgin.im

When first opening pidgin, you will be greeted with this screen:

Click Add, and you will be brought to the add-account screen. Click IRC from the drop down menu, like so:

In the username box, put your estiah username. and in the server box, put irc.quakenet.org. click the Add button, and Pidgin will connect to the server.

Now, to have the #Estiah channel to open upon startup, you need to go to the Buddies menu at the top, and all the way down to +Add Chat. You will be met with this screen:

Put #Estiah in the Room box, and check the box that says Autojoin when account becomes online. You will now have Estiah on your buddy list, to join simply double click.

Another available standalone IRC client is: Ice Chat

Site URL: http://www.icechat.net/site/

When first opening ice chat, you'll see its a fairly cluttered (imo) client, the first thing to do is look at the Favorite Networks panel, to the left which looks like this:

Next, you should click on the Add New button, to add a new network to the list. You will be brought to a window that looks like this:

You have 2 choices. Either type in irc.quakenet.org or do Find Server, and look for quakenet in the list. Next, you will be brought to a page asking for the server's port, do not change anything here, just click Next. In the next window, you will be asked what Channels you would like to open with this server, type in #Estiah. You will then be presented with a window asking for your nickname, I recommend putting in your Estiah username if it is available. Next, Ice Chat will ask you what commands you'd like it to auto-perform upon joining, I recommend leaving this blank for non-experienced users.  Click next, the next window is the last one in the setup process, it should look like this when you're done:(with your own username)

Now, click the Startup tab on the left, and tick Auto-Join on IceChat startup. IceChat is now ready for use :)

The Fifth client I will present is LeafChat:

Site URL: http://www.leafdigital.com/software/leafchat/

Note: Vista Users may have trouble installing this client, just right click the .exe you downloaded, and click Run As Administrator.

After opening Leaf Chat and going through the intial setup wizard, you will reach this screen:

Press the connect button, and you will be brought to this window:

In the address box, type irc.quakenet.org (or your preferred quakenet server), at the bottom tick Open this window at leafchat start, as well as "And Connect" Press the connect button, and then after connected, click Join at the very top. enter #Estiah into the box, and then click the Join button directly to the right. Once joined, click the Join button again (at the top) switch to the Favorite Channels tab, and tick AutoJoin next to #Estiah. LeafChat is now ready to use :)

The Mibbit.com (former ircatwork.com) is a browser based chat client, which requires no install at all, so it deserves a place in your list.

Use either the "Start Chat" button from the first page or just this link: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/ to reach the chat's login page.
All you need to do is to:
- set the server (click the "server" button and type the quakenet server's address there)
- choose your nick
- set the channel to #estiah
If you can't join the server, just try another nick or sometimes wait a bit if the other nicks won't work either. And that's all. :)

You can even register your account to make joins automatic. It doesn't even need an email account, and if you want to manage more channels / servers, it's very suggested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another note: there are several quakenet servers, not only the one given here. You can reach the channels via all, so it's up to your preference which one you'll use.
You can find the list here: http://staff.quakenet.org/servers.phtml

This is all I have time for atm, I will add the remaining 2 clients when I get home from work. If you have any questions/anything you think I should add feel free to PM me or post here. Thanks :)

« Last Edit: 03:33:18 - 07/10/09 by Element »

Azharh

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: IRC Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: 20:02:44 - 07/06/09 »
Nice Tutorial  ;D

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 09:12:31 - 07/07/09 »
sticky'ed.

Seth

• Veteran
  • Faithful
  • Deathknight since...
« Reply #3 on: 12:40:59 - 07/07/09 »
The Mibbit.com (former ircatwork.com) is a browser based chat client, which requires no install at all, so it deserves a place in your list.

Use either the "Start Chat" button from the first page or just this link: http://www.mibbit.com/chat/ to reach the chat's login page.
All you need to do is to:
- set the server (click the "server" button and type the quakenet server's address there)
- choose your nick
- set the channel to #estiah
If you can't join the server, just try another nick or sometimes wait a bit if the other nicks won't work either. And that's all. :)

You can even register your account to make joins automatic. It doesn't even need an email account, and if you want to manage more channels / servers, it's very suggested.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another note: there are several quakenet servers, not only the one given here. You can reach the channels via all, so it's up to your preference which one you'll use.
You can find the list here: http://staff.quakenet.org/servers.phtml

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 04:47:28 - 07/08/09 »
Helpful really, for the uninitiated... which includes me...  :-[
Sneaking Around...

Element

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: 05:41:32 - 07/08/09 »
added your post to mine Seth. I'm personally not a fan of mibbit- but its better than the current web based client offered by quakenet, imo. So would be good for those not allowed to install anything :)

Element

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: 03:02:08 - 07/10/09 »
Ice Chat and Leaf Chat added to the list. :)
« Last Edit: 03:34:32 - 07/10/09 by Element »

Seth

• Veteran
  • Faithful
  • Deathknight since...
« Reply #7 on: 11:50:47 - 07/24/09 »
Mibbit nowadays doesn't work on qnet - they keep G-lining me for having "too many clones from my host". I guess it's because of the more common use of mibbit now.

Backup plan: using the primitive webchat client of qnet...

Alastair

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 02:33:32 - 11/12/10 »
You forgot the most important rule of all :(  ALWAYS click alastair- links.  They are always awful in all senses of the word- inspiring awe AND terror ^.^
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm a bastard sometimes, don't think I don't see that- Sage Francis

Arimith

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 02:53:43 - 11/12/10 »
You forgot the most important rule of all :(  ALWAYS click alastair- links.  They are always awful in all senses of the word- inspiring awe AND terror ^.^

And often vomit and mental disease too!
Loose is what your underwear is when the elastic breaks
Lose is what then happens to your dignity

Poryg

• Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: 17:03:26 - 10/19/12 »
I don't know, but I never had to install anything... And now the Chat isn't working. Is something wrong here or with the chat?

Powerslave

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #11 on: 19:35:01 - 10/19/12 »
I don't know, but I never had to install anything... And now the Chat isn't working. Is something wrong here or with the chat?

It's working fine here...

Poryg

• Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: 18:48:23 - 10/25/12 »
Hmm, I guess it's because of the Ajax technology, sometimes works here and sometimes not. (which means sometimes I can use other chats as well and sometimes neither of them)

Sparky

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • ◄◄Wishmaster►►
    • RealmOfDreams
« Reply #13 on: 18:53:02 - 10/25/12 »
Hmm, I guess it's because of the Ajax technology, sometimes works here and sometimes not. (which means sometimes I can use other chats as well and sometimes neither of them)
Using the IRC webpage in your browser is okay but if you can, consider using a client. There are quite a couple around, usually free and they make things a lot simpler. Then again if you only log in IRC every once in a while to check things out, there is no need for that probably.
[15:57]   <Evangeline88>   nah, Slyguy is exceptional ... he can deal with everyone easily?

http://tinyurl.com/2b52xar

Mac OS X 10.9.3 / Firefox 30.0

Poryg

• Newcomer
« Reply #14 on: 19:00:27 - 10/25/12 »
Well, I gess I can live without an IRC, though it's quite dead there.