Author Topic: [P] Guild system?  (Read 7868 times)

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz moddin EVERYONE
[P] Guild system?
« on: 09:27:24 - 05/21/08 »
So I'm rather curious as to why there is no talk (at least openly planning on implementing it) of a guild system in this game.  It seems like later on with party dungeons and group battles it would only be natural to have something that allows players to coordinate and communicate, and I think this is something that should be fairly high on the priority list of things to add to the game.  I know the devs are working hard and the game is incredibly new, but hey...this is the suggestions forum.  =D
« Last Edit: 14:13:26 - 05/31/08 by Lezard »
<slalderma> birlimpir whispers in your nightmares
<Tobliz> birlimpir was old when the world was young

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: Guild system?
« Reply #1 on: 09:32:38 - 05/21/08 »
Do not worry, the guild system is planned and actually third on the Todo list (the first two are really nice features involving PvP). As you said guilds will be really interesting when group dungeons are starting, which still leaves us a little time to prepare this.

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 09:46:02 - 05/21/08 »
What about a normal in-game communication system in the meantime?  The auto-emote thing is awfully restricting.  Maybe only allow communication if you are in the same town as that individual?  I dunno, unless there is a reason behind not allowing everyone to be able to PM everyone.

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 09:51:09 - 05/21/08 »
We believe that the forum PM offer the exact same feature, since the game/forum accounts are linked (same name). We just didnt want to remake this, and also open the door for easy spamming between accounts.
Still we are always open to suggestions, and if many players request this feature we will try to add it.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 10:14:21 - 05/21/08 »
as lez said, forum pm is the main way to communicate among players, and emotes are just a fun ingame feature. like you can "cry" to
a player after losing your pvp match to him.

we just feel that forum pm fits better for more serious talks, and keeping players out of ingame spam is our first concern.

as for guild system, we will offer something more than just a "group" of members. it'll be built around grouped players versus
grouped players. we need to think carefully over that and we need your friends to play in our game so that there will be some real guilds
competing against each other :)

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #5 on: 10:26:39 - 05/21/08 »
Makes sense regarding the in-game PMs.  Still have to consider that not everybody is going to be active and meta-gaming in the forums just because they are playing the game, though.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #6 on: 10:52:20 - 05/21/08 »
yeah, we know that not all players log on forum to check messages, we hesitated a lot before giving up the idea of ingame pm for the
sake of spamless game. but if many players request it, we will just make it :)

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #7 on: 11:05:29 - 05/21/08 »
Maybe a compromise?  A friends system that allows communication via mutually accepted friends, but all in game?  It could work out nicely.  If you just fought a guy and maybe wanted to talk to them about it you could toss em a buddy request with a short comment, and if they accept you could maybe send messages to each other at that point.

Could still be a potential issue of spammers just requesting people for their contact list, but this is resolved by people being able to screen these requesters.  Maybe make it so you can not request the same person multiple times in a day or ever, so that you don't get inundated with contact requests.  Overall I think the social interaction it fosters far outweighs any issue that may come in the future with spammers, especially if certain steps like I described are set in place.

Overall I just think interaction in game is very important, as that is the crux of MMOs.  Compare the playerbase of any game to the actual number of actives on their forums and there is a huge disparity.

Just something to consider.  I just think if there's a smart way to go about tackling what is a somewhat complicated issue, why not do it if it'll improve the game?

petitbeuh

• High Mediator
  • Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: 11:44:36 - 05/21/08 »
I think using the forum is a good idea, but then i think it's necessary to increase the links between the game and the forum, like adding a "Write to" button when interacting with a player, or in a guild list, linking to the forum PM page, or a "1 message received" alert on the main account page, linked with the forum message page.

The point is, from my experience of Ogame, that around 80% of the players never go even once on a game forum. They'll leave without even knowing that ther was one :)

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 11:48:17 - 05/21/08 »
I can see that would work as well, but I still believe (from tons of experience in MMOs and browser-based games) that convenient methods of communication within the game is still pretty necessary - especially when there are group dungeons to consider.  Honestly, anything to improve communication between players would be an improvement - whether it be connecting in-game to forums or improving in-game stuff.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #10 on: 12:37:57 - 05/21/08 »
to be honest, it's a matter of time to us. lez and me've got a full time job, estiah is only a side project, and yet
we have to do everything that's required to make a good game. we've built estiah from ground, we wrote
every line of code, in game text, we had to draw even we're not artist at all, leave alone server maintenances
and so on.

actually, what you mentioned, friendlist, limited communication etc., were already suggested during beta tests,
and we've considered them all as well. it's just our todolist is so long and we have so little time that we have
to choose some priorities. if we let players choose between a brand new, cool pvp feature and a pm system,
most of people will pick new feature, at least in my opinion, as a gamer.

now, i completely agree with you that communication is absolutely neccessary for a mmo. for example, in our
todolist there are "shoutbox" and "live chat", both are meant to improve communication between players. but
there are just more than ten major game features which have priority over them. we think carefully over every
suggestion players make, and we add them to our todolist with approriate priority, we never ignore your opinions,
and they're very welcome  :D

also, there are just so many social websites (facebook, myspace and so on) out there, and they provide much better
communication tools than what we can make in our limited time. i'm just being curious, if we create an official group of
estiah on facebook, will many players join us ? this way, communication is no more a problem. i picked facebook as
example because it's the most widely used at the moment, it can be anything else. i think we'd better focus on our
main activity - game, instead of turning estiah into yet another social network, it's just my own opinion though  :)

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #11 on: 12:56:28 - 05/21/08 »
I kinda have to agree that an additionnal way to quickly send messages between players through the game interface could really help.
We'll discuss this and try to raise the priority.

Rivellon

• Veteran
  • Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: 15:44:38 - 05/21/08 »
A communication tools would be good yes, but you said, you have choice your prio, np :)

You can still create a facebook group anyway, maybe that can even bring some more ppls though it ;)

Greeezzzyyy

• Faithful
  • Everybody dance! Clap your hands, clap your hands.
« Reply #13 on: 00:49:15 - 05/22/08 »

The point is, from my experience of Ogame, that around 80% of the players never go even once on a game forum. They'll leave without even knowing that ther was one :)
There was a forum in ogame?
WTF!?

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #14 on: 08:49:17 - 05/22/08 »
i think most of people didn't notice there is a forum on estiah either  :laugh: