Author Topic: Glossary of Acronyms, Shortened terms, and Whatnot...  (Read 25933 times)

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
Seeing as there's a lot of acronyms and verbiage in the forums used that sometimes I had difficulty picking up, (what the hell was AoE, I always wondered... kept thinking Age of Empires...) I've decided to create/add a short glossary of acronyms, abbreviations for people lost. More for new people, as well as those who aren't well-versed in chat acronyms (like me). Feel free to add to the list; I'll update the main post once in a while.

Game Acronyms
PvP - Player vs Player ; 1 on 1 battles that involve 2 players matching charms
PvE - Player vs Environment ; basically, dungeon fights or arena battles
GvG - Guild vs Guild; battles between 2 Estiah guilds
EA - Extra Action; charms that have the "1 Extra Action" effect
WP - willpower; defense used against spirit damage
DKP (GHP) - Dragon Kill Points (Guild Honor Points); a name for "money" invented by players, used in guild. in estiah it's called guild honor points, they can be used to purchase charms in guild showcase.

DoT - Damage over Time; usually, poisons in Estiah, charms that deal damage/has a negative effect over several turns
AoE - Area of Effect; non-Estiah, spells/attacks that hit an area as opposed to an individual, in Estiah, charms that hit more than one character (i.e Rogue Death Dance)
HoT - Healing over Time. (i.e, Dozing Potion)
CPB - Constant Power Boost; stacking many ongoing buffs to do massive damage as the fight goes on
DpS - Damage per Second; amount of damage in one second of attack, commonly used in determining damage efficiency in most MMORPGs; in Estiah, it's more of amount of damage per turn.
DpT - Damage per Turn; same concept as DpS, just more apt for Estiah, since it's turn-based system; amount of damage per turn (let's change the culture! use DPT!)
RNG - Random Number Generator; computational tool used to determine sequence of numbers that lack any pattern; in Estiah, refers to the "randomness" element when you play charms from your gear.
OP - overpowered; a charm/gear set/etc that can easily affect the outcome of a fight; original OR
     - original post; a forum post considered first, or novel

LFG - Looking For Group; players use the acronym when looking for a guild in the recruitment forum
TCG - Trading Card Game; Estiah's battle system roughly based on battle card games, with many enhancements from MMO elements.
MMORPG - Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game; for the unenlightened... :)

Charm Acronyms
RK - Release Karma; wiki link --> http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=Release_Karma
DH - Dark Heirloom; wiki link --> http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=Dark_Heirloom

Dungeon Acronyms
KoNM - King of No Man (dungeon)
ACotE - A Cry of the Earth (4-man dungeon)
LEotT - Last Echo of the Thunder (4-man dungeon)

Class Abbreviations
Zerks - Berserkers
Pyros - Pyromaniacs
DK - Deathknight
Pally - Paladins

Terms and others
%P -  for Piercing/Penetration; percent of damage of charm dealt to a target with armor/ward.
cumul - cumulative (applies to armor/ward/wp)
Tank - individuals who specialize in taking damage; in group battles, they use Protect to receive damage in lieu of others. Normally uses lots of armor/ward/WP interchangeably used with "Turtle"
Turtle - individuals who normally use lots of armor/ward/willpower/debuffs in their charms in lieu of melee/magic charms; interchangeably used with "Tank"
Burst - as a term used in the forum, I think it means large amounts of melee/magic boost added to an attack. Highly likely taken from the Burst Skill.
Nerf - something "weakened"; no idea on the etymology, but it applies to charms whose effects were weakened for game balance.
Buff - on contrary to nerf, often used to describe improvement or strengthening for game balance.
Farm/Grind - repetitive action for a particular goal; i.e. grinding in the arena for gold/skills; farming a dungeon for charms/items

Waffle - Waffle refers to our veteran guild "Free Waffle", since they are very active and still sticking with us after
almost one year, most of players know them (especially their Waffle Inquisition led by the Waffle Overlord Kasyn)
WPS - Wolf Pack Samurai (my current guild, and a really good one; take note that this is not a recruitment run)

The inspiration for this comes from reading this --> http://forum.estiah.com/index.php?topic=1790.
*note to self: reading in-game meta, especially high-level meta, can make world go wacky*
« Last Edit: 04:25:55 - 05/25/09 by Shroud »
Sneaking Around...

Alastair

• Bunny Cultist
Re: Glossary of Acronyms, Shortened terms, and Whatnot...
« Reply #1 on: 04:14:08 - 02/19/09 »
nerf - something "weakened"; no idea on the etymology, but it applies to charms whose effects were weakened for game balance.

What sort of childhood did you have that you never used a Nerf Gun?

Your poor deprived childhood...

:-D
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm a bastard sometimes, don't think I don't see that- Sage Francis

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 06:03:14 - 02/19/09 »
nerf - something "weakened"; no idea on the etymology, but it applies to charms whose effects were weakened for game balance.

What sort of childhood did you have that you never used a Nerf Gun?

Your poor deprived childhood...

:-D

Nope. Never. The pic from Wikipedia reminds me of the Ghostbuster toys though... :)
Sneaking Around...

Arimith

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 06:12:03 - 02/19/09 »
Pyros - Pyromancers
Actually it's Pyromaniac.

Also might want to add

CPB: Constant Power Boost - stacking many ongoing buffs to do massive damage as the fight goes on.

Also, recommend sticky
Loose is what your underwear is when the elastic breaks
Lose is what then happens to your dignity

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 07:00:56 - 02/19/09 »
Pyros - Pyromancers
Actually it's Pyromaniac.

Gaahh... you're right. See? I'm so used to people calling Pyromaniacs "Pyro's", I got that wrong.... LOL. Pyromancer is the real-world dictionary equivalent though.  8)

Updated until here.
« Last Edit: 07:03:07 - 02/19/09 by Shroud »
Sneaking Around...

Alastair

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #5 on: 07:31:41 - 02/19/09 »
I prefer Pyrophiliac.

I don't think that idea'd make Estiah family friendly, though....

:)
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut.

I'm a bastard sometimes, don't think I don't see that- Sage Francis

Bactrian

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #6 on: 08:02:28 - 02/19/09 »
I prefer Pyrophiliac.

I don't think that idea'd make Estiah family friendly, though....

:)

Hemophiliac!

Woops, did I say a dirty word?
some call it beermatics, but i call it science of GODZ! - wolfsoul

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #7 on: 10:12:58 - 02/19/09 »
Good idea, this post can be useful if it remains updated.

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 11:09:47 - 02/19/09 »
Willing to do so... especially if this thread pushes thru... --> http://forum.estiah.com/index.php?topic=1891.0
Sneaking Around...

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 11:51:10 - 02/19/09 »
waffle refers to our veteran guild "Free Waffle", since they are very active and still sticking with us after
almost one year, most of players know them (especially their Waffle Inquisition led by the Waffle Overlord Kasyn).

most acronyms are actually "standard" words from mmorpg community. anyone with a mmorpg background
would know their meanings that's why we tend to use them quite naturally.

i'd add some more to the list as well :

buff : on contrary to nerf, often used to describe improvement or strengthening as in game balance.
tcg : trading card game. estiah's battle system roughly based on usual card games, with many enhancement of mmo elements.
dkp (ghp) : dragon kill points. a name for "money" invented by players, used in guild. in estiah it's called guild honor points, they can be used to purchase charms in guild showcase.

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz, trollin yer topixz
« Reply #10 on: 12:25:29 - 02/19/09 »
shroud, im disappointed... how have forgotten WPS?

WPS - best damn guild ewa!! WPS FTW!!!

wolf over and out!

YGBSM
[20:31]   <Schutz|Work>   Lez trolls much better than wolfz! :p
We make server cry with Tears of Blood

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #11 on: 12:40:17 - 02/19/09 »

most acronyms are actually "standard" words from mmorpg community. anyone with a mmorpg background
would know their meanings that's why we tend to use them quite naturally.

Does Runescape, Puzzle Pirates and Kingdom of Loathing count as MMORPG? lol.
Coz those are the only online stuff I played... :)
Sneaking Around...

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #12 on: 12:42:38 - 02/19/09 »
shroud, im disappointed... how have forgotten WPS?

WPS - best damn guild ewa!! WPS FTW!!!

wolf over and out!

I didn't; made a conscious decision to be impartial, since this IS a newbie glossary (though I did put Waffle; didn't know the reference... and even if I did, I'd still put it from all the forum use it gets...  ::) )
Sneaking Around...

Ender

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #13 on: 18:39:19 - 02/19/09 »
HoT - Healing over Time.
LFG - Looking For Group

KoNM - King of No Man (dungeon)
ACotE - A Cry of the Earth (4-man dungeon)
LEotT - Last Echo of the Thunder (4-man dungeon)
(I actually haven't seen acronyms for the phoenix or the kraken...)

GMotD - Guild Message of the Day
BUT - Builds Under Tracking

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz moddin EVERYONE
« Reply #14 on: 10:28:38 - 02/20/09 »
You'd probably want to change DPS to DPT, as damage per second makes no sense in this game, whereas damage per turn is what the damage meters measure and goes with the battle system.
<slalderma> birlimpir whispers in your nightmares
<Tobliz> birlimpir was old when the world was young