Author Topic: Glossary of Acronyms, Shortened terms, and Whatnot...  (Read 25420 times)

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: Glossary of Acronyms, Shortened terms, and Whatnot...
« Reply #15 on: 11:43:09 - 02/20/09 »
actually i think dps is better than dpt even the latter is more appropriate to estiah battle system.
to me, dps has become a word with many meanings other than the literal "damage per second".

like "dps deck" means you're going to be mostly offensive. "need dps to party" means you're
looking for someone who can deals high damage to your party. "dps that guy" means to attack him.
almost nobody knows "dpt". i think that's why people mostly use the word "dps" while knowing that
"per second" is quite non sense in estiah battle system.

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz moddin EVERYONE
« Reply #16 on: 14:56:01 - 02/20/09 »
I use DPS too as I'm used to what it means from WoW, I just figured with it as a measurement in the new damage meters, and the fact that not everyone has played WoW or any real MMO for that matter it may be helpful just to go by what was literally in the game.  You're the dev though.  :P Maybe both, seeing as this is relatively informal anyhow?
<slalderma> birlimpir whispers in your nightmares
<Tobliz> birlimpir was old when the world was young

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #17 on: 17:38:25 - 02/20/09 »
blizzard claims there are more than 12millions active wow players, i thought kids who didn't play wow at kindergarten got bullied nowadays.

Popeye

• Faithful
« Reply #18 on: 20:05:17 - 02/20/09 »
You'd probably want to change DPS to DPT, as damage per second makes no sense in this game, whereas damage per turn is what the damage meters measure and goes with the battle system.
Since this is supposed to be a guide for new players, it should use the term that other people actually use, not the term we think other people ought to use.

Add the term, "Farm".

Earendil

• Faithful
  • Ride for ruin, and the world's ending!
« Reply #19 on: 22:13:57 - 02/20/09 »
I always thought "nerf" came from Star Wars, as in "to make something slow, fat, and/or stupid like a Nerf."

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz moddin EVERYONE
« Reply #20 on: 02:18:14 - 02/21/09 »
You'd probably want to change DPS to DPT, as damage per second makes no sense in this game, whereas damage per turn is what the damage meters measure and goes with the battle system.
Since this is supposed to be a guide for new players, it should use the term that other people actually use, not the term we think other people ought to use.

Add the term, "Farm".

I've never used or heard DPS used in this game, I just use DDer (damage dealer) instead.  I was just suggesting something I thought would be helpful as an actual tangible measurement (like I said, because of the new damage meters), if you're quite done looking to jump on me for ridiculous nonsense we can move on.
<slalderma> birlimpir whispers in your nightmares
<Tobliz> birlimpir was old when the world was young

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #21 on: 03:04:31 - 02/22/09 »

Add the term, "Farm".

I've never used or heard DPS used in this game, I just use DDer (damage dealer) instead.  I was just suggesting something I thought would be helpful as an actual tangible measurement (like I said, because of the new damage meters), if you're quite done looking to jump on me for ridiculous nonsense we can move on.

... I'll try to put in the idea behind the concept... DPS is used primarily in the Estiah forums... but if we can change the culture, why not? Everything started from something... :)

*updated up to here*
« Last Edit: 03:28:51 - 02/22/09 by Shroud »
Sneaking Around...

Earendil

• Faithful
« Reply #22 on: 07:45:22 - 02/22/09 »
It probably depends on which guild you're in... people who've played wow (or a lot of other hero-based games) are used to the term dps to refer to someone who focuses exclusively on high total damage output.  If you're not porting your terminology from another game, then something else like dpc or dpt or whatever might make more sense.  However, since so many people have already played other games, they'll already know the term dps.  Eh, whatever any individual likes is fine.

Ztormur77

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: 04:09:29 - 02/23/09 »
OP - Overpowered
<Gothmogged> sure you took out the lowest pyro in 8 turns, well 4 turns ago they killed one of you.

Nipal

• Bunny Mob
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #24 on: 10:59:39 - 02/23/09 »
eh, DD means "direct damage" to me, as opposite to "dot" or other "indirect damage".
as OP can mean "original post", dunno who but someone definitely asked about it.

Arimith

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #25 on: 12:15:40 - 02/23/09 »
as OP can mean "original post", dunno who but someone definitely asked about it.

Depending on context, may also mean Overpowered
Loose is what your underwear is when the elastic breaks
Lose is what then happens to your dignity

Earendil

• Faithful
« Reply #26 on: 16:42:27 - 02/23/09 »
I play DOTA a lot, so DD means double damage to me - lots of acronyms can mean lots of things :-[ 

Maybe the philosophy of this glossary should be "whatever meaning people use the most often in these forums."

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #27 on: 21:32:50 - 02/23/09 »
Hahaha... I started this glossary after reading thru the "Balance discussion continued" thread.
I've based a large number of the information I put in here from that thread.  ::)
Sneaking Around...

Enigma

• Wanderer
  • Dirige, Domine, in conspectu tuo viam meam
    • Revolutionist
« Reply #28 on: 00:13:31 - 04/30/09 »
Good list! :D

Something I went crazy over trying to decipher though is _% P for "piercing," so I guess it should be added to the list as well for other newbies' sake. :)
One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this.
- Don Quixote de la Mancha

Shroud

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #29 on: 04:26:55 - 05/25/09 »
Added the following to the OP:

%P - Piercing/Penetration
cumul - cumulative (used in armor/ward/willpower)
RNG - Random Number Generator
Sneaking Around...