Author Topic: Thanks!  (Read 13671 times)

Ugluk

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
Thanks!
« on: 21:09:54 - 02/04/09 »
Thanks for cleaning up the strategy and giving us a special place to commiserate with other Classy folks just like us!!!

OK, lame class joke.

On another funny note........ has anyone noticed that there are 2 devs and one of them is a member of the only class without a thread?

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz, trollin yer topixz
Re: Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: 21:16:39 - 02/04/09 »
You know, actually there already been four s........... topics, but somebody keeps finishing off anyone who tries to post it... my guess is that... butler did it... or it was a maid, i dunno... but theres something fishy here... better not utter that word...
YGBSM
[20:31]   <Schutz|Work>   Lez trolls much better than wolfz! :p
We make server cry with Tears of Blood

Ugluk

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 21:31:16 - 02/04/09 »
You know, actually there already been four s........... topics, but somebody keeps finishing off anyone who tries to post it... my guess is that... butler did it... or it was a maid, i dunno... but theres something fishy here... better not utter that word...

It was the SoBE mascot, in the Nether Portal, with the Major Earth Blast!  :laugh:

Mef1729

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: 21:39:37 - 02/04/09 »
Thanks for cleaning up the strategy and giving us a special place to commiserate with other Classy folks just like us!!!

OK, lame class joke.

On another funny note........ has anyone noticed that there are 2 devs and one of them is a member of the only class without a thread?
I believe that the other dev is a member of the first class to get a thread, as well.

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 21:47:03 - 02/04/09 »
And guess who made it?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!!???!!?!??  :laugh: No, seriously, who made it?
YGBSM

Mef1729

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: 21:50:47 - 02/04/09 »
We are not sure, here is the main suspect.

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #6 on: 21:53:29 - 02/04/09 »
Ohhh noesss, i have been defeated!!!!! Killed with my own weapon... I shall retreat for now, but my revenge shall be ... sweet...
YGBSM

Lezard

• Bunny Demon
  • Bunnies
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #7 on: 22:07:19 - 02/04/09 »
I think nobody likes us :(

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 22:26:22 - 02/04/09 »
I have an alt going to Summoner, just to see what this class is like.  Info isn't exactly widely available, but I'll throw something together based on what I can find.   Maybe it will get some actual Summoners to contribute knowledge.
151 Gothmogged uses [Violette's Roses]
Gothmogged targets Root of Corruption
Root of Corruption takes 125 melee damage
Root of Corruption is defeated.
229  Gothmogged uses [Nature's Claw]
Thornscourge the Defiled takes 212 melee damage
Thornscourge the Defiled is defeated.

Chronosz

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 00:58:18 - 02/05/09 »
Summoners are by far the most unique and underrated class in the game. Every summoner I fight doesn't even really use summons. They spam boosts and earth charms... They seem to be better at long battles, not short spam battles.
I see you're playing stupid again, and it looks like you are winning.

Fenrir

• Bunny Cultist
  • This place looks different
« Reply #10 on: 01:17:29 - 02/05/09 »
Lezard I think is the only summoner I've seen that runs pure summon attack, I'm sure that there are others, but Lez is the only one that I've noticed.
[18:26] <manoresAFK> fenrir completes achievement: [Nay can question my incosistent SnT hits!]

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #11 on: 01:31:03 - 02/05/09 »
Out of 403 L40+ players,  19 are Summoners.  4.7% vs the 8.3% one would get with an even distribution.  So roughly speaking they are about half as common as we would expect if all things were equal.  If you sort by rating none of them turn up until page 4, so its clearly not drawing PvP addicts.  Which should surprise no one since burst is the top strategy with spirit running somewhere in second.  Summon charms are not burst friendly and POW/CON is not Spirit friendly, so Summoners are pretty much stuck trying to make do with a DoT setup that doesn't have the anti EA benefit of poisons.   Red headed stepchildren of Estiah.

Bactrian

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #12 on: 02:42:17 - 02/05/09 »
Eh, I've always imagined summoners to be awesome in team fights. You (sometimes) have the time to build up a whole lot of summons and keep them alive with summoner's mark etc. and the focus summon looks pretty awesome. It would be nice to see split damage teams, which i think would help the summoner out a lot in terms of the summons they can use but its not really the done thing. (experimentation time?)

Also they have a spirit summon so if they have a dex subset they should have access to almost all the nonclass spirit charms.
some call it beermatics, but i call it science of GODZ! - wolfsoul

Kasyn

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz moddin EVERYONE
« Reply #13 on: 05:05:58 - 02/05/09 »
Out of 403 L40+ players,  19 are Summoners.  4.7% vs the 8.3% one would get with an even distribution.  So roughly speaking they are about half as common as we would expect if all things were equal.  If you sort by rating none of them turn up until page 4, so its clearly not drawing PvP addicts.  Which should surprise no one since burst is the top strategy with spirit running somewhere in second.  Summon charms are not burst friendly and POW/CON is not Spirit friendly, so Summoners are pretty much stuck trying to make do with a DoT setup that doesn't have the anti EA benefit of poisons.   Red headed stepchildren of Estiah.

Actually I'd disagree quite strongly with this, it's wrong to judge the current Summoners potential based on the lack of interest the current players have for PvP.  The class has some extremely strong summons, and beyond that there are some outside of class summons that are absolutely amazing.  (I'd also strongly disagree that spirit is somewhere in second, constant boost and burst are at the top undoubtedly.  Spirit is absolutely pathetic in groups at this point and it's lost some luster in 1v1 because some new charms have completely destroyed the risk vs. reward dynamic of compromising damage to add willpower to your gear.  I'm looking at you, Release Karma.) 

Seriously, summons can be very dangerous with the right kind of deck - there are just so many great extend summon charms that synergize so well with the class.

Don't look at performance of the players to judge these things, look at the charms and the potential.  With things like Lesser Summoning, Crimson Devil, the summon-based heal, and Phoenix Offspring (which is in my opinion one of the strongest charms in the game - 88 damage and a summon extension?  It's absolutely perfect.) it's really unconvincing to say the class is lacking in any way.  The players of the class are just under the radar.
« Last Edit: 05:08:07 - 02/05/09 by Kasyn »
<slalderma> birlimpir whispers in your nightmares
<Tobliz> birlimpir was old when the world was young

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #14 on: 05:53:12 - 02/05/09 »
Its certainly possible that Summoners could kick ass.  That is why I'm trying to make one (just 5 more levels to go) so I can explore the possibilities first hand. 

In terms of judging the class by existing players, well that is the only evidence commonly available.  How do you discount that evidence?  Do you assume that the existing players of Summoners lack the intellect,  imagination, or desire to excel at PvP?  These are all possible explanations, but require that we somehow explain the bias of such players towards Summoner.  I think the real cause goes in the other direction.  The Summoner class is not attracting PvPers in the same proportion as other classes due to its history of not dominating PvP as much as the usual suspects, Pyromaniacs and Berserkers. 

You are right about Spirit being a waning strategy.  My perception was biased.  Now that I look around I see that  there are only 2 spirit class players in the top 20, and spirit is only half of what is keeping me there. 

The potential of summon charms is certainly intriguing.  But I honestly can't recall the last time I was even attacked by a summon deck, let alone lost to one.  You point out some interesting charms, but those are L44 and not class charms.  Not exactly the bread and butter of the typical summoner.  Also, 11 magic over 8 turns= 88 damage (assuming you live that long) seems at best competitive with typical boost tactics, and not even close to what can be done with Ice Spikes and constant boost.  What force multipliers exist for summons?  All I've seen are things that make them last longer.  Longer summons are difficult to wait around for when Pyros are hitting you for 250 dam.