Author Topic: Wiki Coordination Thread  (Read 170308 times)

Bactrian

• Bunny Cultist
Wiki Coordination Thread
« on: 15:37:23 - 01/29/09 »
Soo, I did a search of the forums and there wasn't a thread like this, pretty much the idea is to talk about whats been done/what needs to be done and also to see who the other wiki editors are, since the wiki itself doesn't seem to have much in the way of community or general article guidelines and that sort of thing. Also if people want to contribute but don't know how the formatting works, etc. then they could ask questions here for help (although the best way is to just look at the formatting for other articles).

The things I can think of are some of the T3 classes are missing their lists of charms and also the 2nd last patch rebalanced a few charms so they probably need updating. I've been filling in the Sage charms now I'm back in Zeal and almost done them all now. I also update the Terrorized Kitten and Timid Flying Broom pet pages with their diets... question time - when a food has no stat gain or loss, I've left it blank, is there a better way of showing it?

Yeaaap. Anyway, hi!
some call it beermatics, but i call it science of GODZ! - wolfsoul

Einar

• Bunny Cultist
Re: Wiki Coordination Thread
« Reply #1 on: 18:34:17 - 01/29/09 »
I haven't done any contributing to the wiki mostly as a time issue, but I think this thread is a good idea.  I recall one instance where there different formats being used which caused several of the pages to be reworked.

As for no stat gain I think I might just give it a "--"

Ugluk

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #2 on: 19:04:21 - 01/29/09 »
Yeah, and no one tags charms any more with rune categories.  Thus clicking on the rune categories is pointless.

Nastharl

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 20:25:26 - 01/29/09 »
I made the item template a long time back, and still bounce through new additions and see if people are using it :)

I imagine at some point, i'll dig back in the wiki and fix up CraftLoc entries on items :p

Larcent

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 20:53:55 - 01/29/09 »
I've been working on various edits and additions. We didn't even have a page explaining what "runes" even are, so I added that, and stuff on the auction houses, academies, and exhaustion.

I'm going to add the missing monk charms when I hit level 30 and join.

I have noticed some consistency variations and problem contributed to the problem give the lack of guidelines.

Popeye

• Faithful
« Reply #5 on: 21:35:52 - 01/29/09 »
The shops were terrible until I fixed most of them up.

Nyoko

• Faithful
« Reply #6 on: 22:01:12 - 01/29/09 »
Added Splotch the Ferret [pet]

Nastharl

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #7 on: 22:25:05 - 01/29/09 »
God... shops were such a mess in the beginning.

The best thing you can do to increase wiki goodness, is PM the IPs of people making bad edits and let them know :)

Azharh

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 23:20:26 - 01/29/09 »
I remade the pages of all dungeons since Lv15 I think, along with actually doing them... Tried to stick at an identical look'n'feel. Haven't contributed lately because I'm farming a lot the 4-players dungeons, that don't really need to be rewritten... But I'll be back soon... Fear me muarharharh !  :laugh:

Larcent

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #9 on: 23:49:16 - 01/29/09 »
If there's something I've added/edited to the wiki and I'm not sure if I've got it right, I'll put a note in the discussion tab in case somebody has more information. If somebody knows how long an item stays in the auction house, I'd be happy if they'd put that info on that page, because I have no idea.

Aplsos

• Bunny Cultist
  • i feel the ghosts screaming phoenix inside me
« Reply #10 on: 00:28:37 - 01/30/09 »
I remade the pages of all dungeons since Lv15 I think, along with actually doing them... Tried to stick at an identical look'n'feel. Haven't contributed lately because I'm farming a lot the 4-players dungeons, that don't really need to be rewritten... But I'll be back soon... Fear me muarharharh !  :laugh:

Yeah, thanks for replacing the layout I was using for dungeons with a hideous nested list mess that looks like it belongs on a Geocities page warning about the dangers of water fluoridation.

Chronosz

• Bunny Cultist
« Reply #11 on: 02:47:13 - 01/30/09 »
Good job wiki editers! You help me and my noobness!
I see you're playing stupid again, and it looks like you are winning.

Azharh

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #12 on: 09:56:08 - 01/30/09 »
Yeah, thanks for replacing the layout I was using for dungeons with a hideous nested list mess that looks like it belongs on a Geocities page warning about the dangers of water fluoridation.

I won't answer to that.

Edith : Ok, I'll answer...  :P Take this page http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=King_of_No_Man and this one http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=A_Cure and tell me which one seems to be the more readable and understandable...

Everyone works to improve the wiki. I'm very sorry if you feel like I've stolen your work or make it look bad, it was not my intention... But when I saw those big "blocks" of information, populated with so much red links, I felt the will to help make it better, that's all...  :'(
« Last Edit: 10:02:30 - 01/30/09 by Azharh »

Aplsos

• Bunny Cultist
  • i feel the ghosts screaming phoenix inside me
« Reply #13 on: 11:07:40 - 01/30/09 »
Edith : Ok, I'll answer...  :P Take this page http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=King_of_No_Man and this one http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=A_Cure and tell me which one seems to be the more readable and understandable...

For one, your layout takes up much more vertical space than needed.  People naturally scan pages in the shape of an F, from left to right, then top to bottom; you do not need to make each individual stat of each individual enemy take up its own line with its own bullet-point, those can be listed to the right of the monster's name.  Your use of headers causes the wiki software to automatically add a table of contents, which just takes up space in an article that shouldn't be more than a page long in the first place.  You use the same listing header for the enemy's attacks and its charm drops, forcing the reader to rely on locational context for the list's relevance, reducing scanability.  (To be fair, that last one's more of a nitpick.)

Everyone works to improve the wiki. I'm very sorry if you feel like I've stolen your work or make it look bad, it was not my intention... But when I saw those big "blocks" of information, populated with so much red links, I felt the will to help make it better, that's all...  :'(

The problem isn't adding information.  If you're going to go and completely replace a layout someone else made, you damn well better make sure it's better than what was there before.  "Don't fix what ain't broke."

dis post brought to you by the letter f, for "lookit that fat design nerd over there, gettin all serious-like over wikipedias!  HEH. ehehh"

Wolfsoul

• The Pic Maniac
  • Animator
  • Bunny Cultist
  • in ur forumz, trollin yer topixz
« Reply #14 on: 11:15:46 - 01/30/09 »
YGBSM
[20:31]   <Schutz|Work>   Lez trolls much better than wolfz! :p
We make server cry with Tears of Blood