Author Topic: [Hall of Sacrifices] We will devour your soul  (Read 66043 times)

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
[Hall of Sacrifices] We will devour your soul
« on: 22:04:52 - 12/30/08 »

Deathknight

We will rip the life force from your body and make merry sport with it.  The Deathknight prevails by going beyond simple force to use the strength of our enemies against them.  True victory comes from having first made your  enemy grovel before you.

Deathknight provides both Sap and Spirit charms.  These are typically combined into a Spirit attacking strategy which relies on weakening techniques to keep the enemy too debuffed to do you significant harm while you rip their soul out.  They can also be combined with a melee and melee drain assault to simply pulverize the enemy while using their life force to heal yourself.

Deathknights are recruited from two paths:

Scout-->Rogue
Fighter-->Mercenary

The former case is more common, particularly for Spirit users, as the Scout Hastened Head Hit remains the only extra action spirit attack in the game as of this writing.  Regardless, you will need Dex primary and Power secondary to qualify.  Int is slightly more useful than Con for most of the debuff backup charms you might care to use.

Requirements
In order to qualify you will need: 350 Dex, 300 Power, 1 Mark of Domination, 1 Mark of Salvation.
Skills:Remorseless 1, Spirit Breaker 3, Sacrifice 1, Sap 1, Sword 4, Shadow 2
Spirit users should have little trouble satisfying those requirements.  I highly recommend you also max Sap and Iron Will as these will give you access to extremely useful charms and some extra spirit.

You would also be smart to have 5 Marks of Unity, 3 Faith, and 3 Insight, and fifty six thousand gold pieces, because those will be necessary to buy class charms.  The Unity marks can wait until you hit level 41, so you have time to assemble a team of like minded individuals.  Hang onto any Flashing Gusts or Eternal Breezes you pick up in the trials, you can craft up stat boosting foods using them later.

Class Charms

DeathKnight Blade

Soul Feast

Touch of Decay
Fee:10000g    Fee:10000g    Fee:6000g
Materials:Mark of Salvation x1    Materials:Mark of Domination x1    Materials:Mark of Insight x1

DeathKnight Blade    Soul Feast    Touch of Decay
30 Melee (20% P)    3 Spirit    25 Melee (20% P)
24 Magic Drain    Heal 27 damage    -63 to target's next melee
Level 40    Level 40    Level 40

materials crafts 5 charms    materials crafts 5 charms    materials crafts 2 charms

Death Plate

Mind Cry

Life Siphon
Fee:6000g    Fee:4000g    Fee:5000g
Materials:Mark of Faith x1    Materials:Mark of Unity x1    Materials:Harvester Insignia x1

Death Plate    Mind Cry    Life Siphon
94 Armor    (target all enemies)    45 Melee drain
4 Willpower    1 Spirit   
    -26 to target's next magic   
Level 40    Level 41    Level 41

materials crafts 2 charms    materials crafts 1 charm    materials crafts 1 charm

Shatter Hope

Despair

Demoniac Deal
Fee:10000g    Fee:15000g    Fee:20000g
Materials:Alchemist Insignia x1    Materials:King Insignia x1    Materials:Life Insignia x1

Shatter Hope    Despair    Demoniac Deal
Destroy 6 willpower    -12 to target's melee (ongoing)    2 Spirit
-41 to target's next melee    -12 to target's magic (ongoing)    18 melee drain (30%p)
-41 to target's next magic        if opponent's
        willpower is 0 during
5 turns
Level 42    Level 43    Level 44

materials crafts 1 charm    materials crafts 1 charm    materials crafts 1 charm
« Last Edit: 22:04:39 - 03/03/09 by Gothmogged »
151 Gothmogged uses [Violette's Roses]
Gothmogged targets Root of Corruption
Root of Corruption takes 125 melee damage
Root of Corruption is defeated.
229  Gothmogged uses [Nature's Claw]
Thornscourge the Defiled takes 212 melee damage
Thornscourge the Defiled is defeated.

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
Re: [Hall of Sacrifices] We will devour your soul
« Reply #1 on: 02:30:05 - 12/31/08 »
Beyond Class Charms

As a Deathknight your class charms really support only spirt and melee strategies.  Inquisitors have better burst spirit options and Berserkers have better damage output.  Do not let this dismay you, raw damage output is important, but  careful use of debuffs, drains, and defensive charms can steal victory away from your hasty competitors.

Dexterity and Power as primary, along with your class charms,  place you as the premier sword user in Estiah.  Shadow runes and their associated banes will also come somewhat easily and can be considered as a basis for a bane centric strategy.  Inquisitors will have a natural advantage over you with respect to banes, but a solid bane deck can make for a nice surprise defense deck.  Finally, CPB magic can be considered, but it is a non-class strategy whose practicality depends entirely on your statistic growth and charm collection progress.

Spirit

The spirit strategy is the workhorse of Deathknights.  Collect every spirit charm in the game, you will find a use for them in PvE if not in PvP.   A mostly complete listing of spirit charms can be found on the wiki http://estiah.aswt.net/index.php?title=Spirit.  The ones listed below are worth special attention.

Dark Heirloom

This is the only real buff for spirit in Estiah.  Note that this aura is triggered only by spirit runes and +tonext is discharged only on direct spirit attacks.  This means that spirit banes, like Colithon Skull and Nightmare will trigger the +tonext bonus without discharging it.  These feature can be used to accumulate large tonext bonuses for larger spirit hits.  Note that the +tonext bonus is added to each target of an area of effect spirit attack.  This means that having +1 boosts a Mind Cry to hit 3 opponents for 2pts each in a 6pt spirit attack, and so on.  Do whatever you have to do to beat King of no Man to have all of these ready for level 42, you'll need to run it a lot for Psychic Cry and Woeful's Whip anyway.

Psychic Cry

A slightly weaker (no debuff) version of Mind Cry.  Combine these with Dark Heirloom to form the foundation of your group spirit strategy.

Woeful's Whip

The only spirit combo in Estiah.  Sadly, both whips, used by different characters, must pass the armor condition and be used within a few turns to trigger the extra spirit and focus.  Even without the combo this gives you an ok 3 spirit charm for PvE.

Curse of Pandamius

The only epic spirit charm in Estiah is only useful in groups.  Note that banes are tripped by extra attacks, but do not lose duration thereby.  This makes a group of Pandamius users, combined with other spirit banes, one of the most dreaded group configurations in the game.

Colithon Skull

The only generally available true spirit bane in Estiah.  This combines well with Pandamius, Vicious Circle, and perhaps Death Spin.

Death Spin

Death Spin is a gambit which sort of acts like a 3+ spirit charm with an extra chance to trip any previously laid spirit banes. The downside of this is that it gives your opponent an extra attack, which may be your undoing.  Worth using if you can pile the banes on, highly unreliable otherwise.  Indispensable in several PvE situations.

Vicious Circle

The 2 spirit hit is weak unless you have a reasonable expectation of hitting some banes.  Difficult in 1v if you aren't an inquisitor, but not too difficult a condition to meet in group fights.

Earth Dragon Crown

One of the better 2 spirit charms around.  Its cumulative ward can save your life and provides good synergy with Bel'Hathal.

Gloom Knell

The best 2 spirit charm around.  The defense granted by this bane is quite good.

Robes of Majesty

A good 3 pointer to fill out your spirit deck, gives you a leg up against other spirit.

Melee

Get 5 Fencing from hatred, fill out with swords and cpb.  If you expect to face direct damage, throw in some Scorpion Stances and possibly Frigid Damsels.

The swords that matter are Corrupted Fireblade, Colithon Claymore, Mind-Disrupting Blade, Celestial Sword (if you have FotE or battle-molded axes or in Strike groups), Nazohi Blades,  Glorious Claymore, Hyphused Slasher, Frigid Damsel, Life Siphon and Deathknight's Crest.  Blade of Betrayal is worth picking up, but somewhat hazardous in a CPB deck.  You can usually fill the deck out with about a dozen non-EA non-swords like release karma, slash n thrust, fury of the elements, battle-molded axe, battle-forged spear and not compromise the Fencing too much.

If you can arrange your stats to use Void Bolt.  Do so.  It supercedes Slash n Thrust quite handily.

Bane

One part: Petrification + Metal Melt
Two parts: Staff of Decay, Abyss, Black Death
Four parts: Firebrand, Blacknerve Mixture, and your strongest magic banes
Garnish with a few Left Ear of Menithos to keep the spirits away.

Serve in a tall glass of whoop-ass for the jokers coming at you with willpower and armor.

Other

Crown of Prestige

The -1 to ongoing can shut down a spirit deck, often worth having on hand.  It makes cleanse tempting and you can sometimes get away with throwing a few in your defense deck depending on how baney your environment is.
« Last Edit: 21:33:05 - 12/05/09 by Gothmogged »

Bedtime

• Faithful
« Reply #2 on: 14:04:26 - 12/31/08 »
Im 2 levels away from turning Deathknight and I can't wait to use the dual aspects of the game with it :] I didn't realise that 1 mark of domination for example makes x5 soul feasts, I've been walking around with x5 of all the trial marks bar unity since lvl 35 ;)

And a hell of alot more cash than I needed aswell...

I do wonder whether to buy x5 hastened head hits though, I've never really thought that I would need them in my spirit decks that usually work very well, any current deathknights with any suggestions?
« Last Edit: 14:07:44 - 12/31/08 by Bedtime »

Azharh

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #3 on: 14:38:07 - 12/31/08 »
"Hastened Head Hit" is a scout-class charm... If you were taking the Fighter/Mercenary path, you'll never be able to use this useful charm...

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #4 on: 19:15:40 - 12/31/08 »
I use Hastened Head Hit in my spirit deck.  Unless I'm fighting another spirit user I'm really not in danger of running out of charms.

Retrospect

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: 19:16:36 - 01/01/09 »
Just want to ask if going through the scout/ shaman path would give a big advantage since right now I'm doing the secondary method with my character.

Slalderma

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • the Troubadour Warrior
« Reply #6 on: 20:05:48 - 01/01/09 »
The two routes have different advantages and disadvantages.

Going scout>rogue>DK gives you DoTs (from the scout and rogue), high damage charms with penetration (from the rogue), and lots of extra action charms (scout).  Most of these are at the cost of self-spirit damage (nicely countered by the Death Plate and other charms you'll pick up on the way).  Since the DK doesn't have a lot of high-damage charms, this route can give you access to some of these, plus EAs and DoTs to wear down your opponent and make the most of the T3 charms.

Going fighter>mercenary>DK doesn't give you any EAs or DoTs BUT it does give you access to charms with armor/ward destruction (from the fighter) and high damage charms (from the mercenary) at the cost of self-armor loss.  In 1v1 PvP (and most PvP in general), you're not going to be playing a lot of armor/ward charms anyway (unless you spirit turtle in which case it doesn't matter which route you've taken) and these big damage charms will be nice helpers.  As pointed out by Azhrah in the Inquisitor thread, the fighter does have access to a WP dest charm.

Either route is really fine - I don't think that any of them have HUGE advantages over the others that make one route seem silly by comparison.  My DK has taken the scout>rogue route and done just fine.
slalderma / slickal / rebelscum / sukelywalker / badmotivator
berzerker / pyro / hierarch / deathknight / warden
Slyguy: Shortdeck is the answer to everything.

Retrospect

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: 20:30:11 - 01/01/09 »
So why are the people that have posted above stress the importance and usefulness of the charm: hastened head hits

Azharh

• High Mediator
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #8 on: 20:57:04 - 01/01/09 »
HHH has a huge drawback : EA are deadly if you fight against Inqui, because of Searing Mind  :'(

Fallout

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: 21:23:04 - 01/01/09 »
Great thread.

I kind of wish I had gone scout for the hastened head hits...

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #10 on: 22:35:06 - 01/01/09 »
Hastened Head Hit isn't vital.  We weren't emphasizing it to highlight its importance quite so much as noting that it is one of the more obvious differences between the two paths. It is one of the rare T1 charms which is never superceded and still has its uses even over level 40.

Slalderma

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
  • the Troubadour Warrior
« Reply #11 on: 02:14:19 - 01/02/09 »
I'll just reiterate that it's not so strong that the scout path should be considered the ONLY path.  Both are (to me) equally viable.
slalderma / slickal / rebelscum / sukelywalker / badmotivator
berzerker / pyro / hierarch / deathknight / warden
Slyguy: Shortdeck is the answer to everything.

Bedtime

• Faithful
« Reply #12 on: 13:18:32 - 01/07/09 »
I agree that both are viable as not every fight is based on being a spirit turtle. Merc's have better charms against spirit users, just due to that all the powerful rouges charms are -1 spirit.

I've been a DK for a few days, and I like using a few of the charms; Death Plate is very nice and Soul Feast is fantastic, but I am disapointed with Touch of Decay and eventually when I can use it Mind Cry. Touch of Decay is too low in damage and I seem to always draw it when my opponent uses a EA charm next, which just makes it useless unless you know the opponent is running no EA. This charm is mainly to be used against Beserkers, and most beserkers I have encounted use EA charms. And in a group fight, I want to kill/exhaust 1 opponent and then focus on the other/s, not using a 1 spirit charm with a small minus magic defense. Its probably more useful in guild battles, but i've not experienced them very much.

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #13 on: 18:19:16 - 01/08/09 »
I agree.  Touch of decay is mostly useful in PvE.   Everyone uses EA and that soaks up the penalty more often than not.  Even freaking Pyromaniacs are attacking me with Mach Fists.  So a big penalty to next melee is not very helpful.

Gothmogged

• Veteran
  • Bunny Cultist
« Reply #14 on: 18:30:35 - 01/08/09 »
I am looking forward to Life Siphon.  I think heavy buffed racks of those could be extremely cool in PvP.